Honored Contributor

Re: Do you arrive early for work and other events?

Yes, I am one of those people who arrives early for things.  I never got to work an hour early but I always, thoughout my working life, arrived 30 minutes early.  I do intentionally arrive at social events early but obscenely early.  I've never had to wait in my car.  I don't like feeling rushed and I like to hit the ladies room to tinkle and to look at my makeup and hair.  When I wore heels, I'd wear flats or sneakers to travel and change shoes in the ladies room.  I'm fortunate that I am married to a man who feels the same way about getting to places early.  Sometimes, it really does work in my favor for doctor's appointments.  Often if I arrive early, my doctors will take me early. 

Esteemed Contributor

I would never show up for work and hour or more early. I'm not being paid for the time and I certainly don't want to sit in my car reading a book. The last company I worked for you were not allowed to badge in  more that ten  minutes before your shift. I worked 8:00 - 4:30. Not one minute more. At 4:30 promptly my computer was logged off and I was headed out the door.  As for Doctor appointments and such I usually get there 10-15 minutes early. I try to make my appointments  after morning rush hour and plan on being home before afternoon rush hour starts. 

Honored Contributor

I used to arrive early for medical appointmnents. No more. I arrive about 5-10 minutes before. It seems like the norm these days (where I live) these SCHEDULED appointments are delayed, and I end up waiting.

Esteemed Contributor

Work:  Retired a couple of years ago and was so happy not to have to get up at 0420 every morning.  My day started at 0615 and it was a long walk from the employee parking garage to my office in the hospital - uphill all the way.  So...No, I usually didn't arrive early, unless we had a huge training planned to commence at 0630, then I would have to arrive at 0530.

Other:  Lived most of our lives in California, where almost no one shows up at 7pm for a 7pm dinner/party. Usually, we'd show up at 7:20 or 7:30, with a whole lot of other people trailing behind us.  However, we moved out of state, when my husband took a 6 year contract.  After maybe a month, we were invited to a couple's home for a potluck dinner beginnning at 6pm, so we arrived at 6:20.  When we arrived, dinner was over!  I mean OVER!  In 20 minutes, everyone had scarfed down their food and was just finishing dessert, when we walked in, me with my warm German Potato Salad cradled in my hands. 

We were told:  "If you want to eat, you'd better show up on time."  Truth be told there was nothing for us to eat, but a bit of dessert, because they had already cleaned every single dinner item off the table.  So...my husband and I sat down to the German Potato Salad I had made and that was our dinner.

Consequence:  Having moved back to California for 15 years and now to Oregon to be with DD, SIL and GD, we show up on time, regardless.

Honored Contributor

I always arrive at least 15 minutes early to work, appointments, etc. I remember as a child my father had a terrible sense of direction, we would get lost and always be late for everything. When my uncle passed away (my mother's sister's husband) we got to the funeral home as they were starting to line up to go to the cemetery. My mother felt awful (we lived in NYC and were going to New Jersey, there was a problem on the bridge with terrible traffic). Since that time we arrived about a half hour to an hour early for everything!

Honored Contributor

Always early for appointments, social events, etc.

Honored Contributor

When I was working, I never arrived at work appreciably early, but I was almost never late, either. 

Going to a concert, etc. I was always a good half hour early to be sure I could park, go potty, and settle in my seat before curtain time without feeling stressed/rushed.

To meet friends? I'm usually 5-10 min early and most of my friends are usually a good 20 min late. Gotta love it - not.

I rarely get to doctor's appointments more than 5-10 minutes early, by plan. They never see you on time anyway.

I have, on a very few occasions, also made a dry run driving to see how long it takes and exactly where to park.

I'm very rarely if ever late to anything, and I've learned over time to cut down my early arrivals to 10 min or less, otherwise I'm the one twiddling my thumbs in boredom.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

OK I have to ask this - many here said they like to get to events early so they can pee - I am led to wonder - don't you people pee before you leave home?How often do you all pee?If I go before I leave home I am easily good for about 4 hours before I'll need to go again.I certainly would not have to go again when I arrive if I went before I left home. I'd much rather pee at home before I leave than in a public rest room.

Honored Contributor

Always was early for work.  Drove me crazy when people would stroll in late.

Sometimes people got fired for being late (I think 3 chances were given.)  This was a huge top 10 company, just different departments looked at things *differently*.

Because I was always early, my boss asked me to put a big red circle around 'TIME IN' box for people who were signing in at least 5 mins. late.  That meant they were aware they were lying if they didn't put in the actual time they arrive.  And they would get the boot.  Oh well. Some people just don't think rules apply to them.

Now *events* I don't like to be one of the early ones, but as long as nothing is being held up, I'll arrive what I call fashionably late.

I had a DDIL who came to the church 45 mins. late for her wedding.  And it was another 15 mins. on top of that before the ceremony started.  It didn't phase me because she's always late.  If I want to have dinner at, say 6, I'll tell them 5 o'clock.  I have started to eat with out her.  No hard feelings!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

OK I have to ask this - many here said they like to get to events early so they can pee - I am led to wonder - don't you people pee before you leave home?How often do you all pee?If I go before I leave home I am easily good for about 4 hours before I'll need to go again.I certainly would not have to go again when I arrive if I went before I left home. I'd much rather pee at home before I leave than in a public rest room.

Some of us have weak bladders.