Honored Contributor

Re: Do you arrive early for work and other events?

Oh boy .... those of you who make a habit of being very early would really lose their minds in Los Angeles traffic!

It's not unheard of to leave early .....  and STILL arrive late!  Happens on a daily basis!  

Everyone has been trapped in bumper to bumper traffic or a bad accident just happens out of the blue .....   so we tend to cut each other a little slack.  Life happens.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@house_cat

Hmm.   I found your comments a bit surprising.   I don't know what kind of job you have that you would need 1 hour of preparation "to get your ducks in a row".    Is it a highly chaotic job?    Why such a lengthy prep time?  

@Tinkrbl44

I'm a teacher. Technically, I am paid for a 6.5 hour day, but anyone who teaches knows that's unrealistic.  My days are usually 9 hours, and of course that doesn't count what I do at home.  I want to be clear that I'm not complaining - I love my job and I'm fortunate to work in a school district that compensates me very well for my work.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

ONE MORE THING comes to mind ......  

I am a few minutes early for doctor appointments, and usually check in, go to the Ladies Room, and kill a little time.  Usually bring my own magazine (with only my germs on it, lol).

I would NEVER sit endlessly in a doctor's office .....  there are SICK people in there with lots of germs and who knows what!     Why would anyone sit in a waiting room shaped  petrie dish ...  just to be early?   ugh

Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@house_cat

Hmm.   I found your comments a bit surprising.   I don't know what kind of job you have that you would need 1 hour of preparation "to get your ducks in a row".    Is it a highly chaotic job?    Why such a lengthy prep time?  

@Tinkrbl44

I'm a teacher. Technically, I am paid for a 6.5 hour day, but anyone who teaches knows that's unrealistic.  My days are usually 9 hours, and of course that doesn't count what I do at home.  I want to be clear that I'm not complaining - I love my job and I'm fortunate to work in a school district that compensates me very well for my work.

Any teacher I have ever known is paid a yearly salary - not an hourly wage. This salary includes any and all time spent before or after work. Most of these yearly salaries are more than adequate to cover the extra times spent.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@house_cat wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@house_cat

@Tinkrbl44

Any teacher I have ever known is paid a yearly salary - not an hourly wage. This salary includes any and all time spent before or after work. Most of these yearly salaries are more than adequate to cover the extra times spent.

Yes, they are paid salary. Most schools request that teachers come at this time, and leave at this time. Where I live, teachers and staff do not have adequate salaries.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Oh boy .... those of you who make a habit of being very early would really lose their minds in Los Angeles traffic!

It's not unheard of to leave early .....  and STILL arrive late!  Happens on a daily basis!  

Everyone has been trapped in bumper to bumper traffic or a bad accident just happens out of the blue .....   so we tend to cut each other a little slack.  Life happens.

Anyone in So Cal understands both traffic and parking issues. I personally consider 15 minutes acceptable/fine if someone is either stuck in traffic or can't find a place to park - very common issues for everyone. More than 15 minutes, though, and they likely just didn't plan for or give any consideration for this, and probably they routinely don't plan (we all know these people).

Thankfully, most people have cell phones now and when they're running late they can let others know. It's still annoying, but at least you'll know why, how far away they are, etc.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Always early, just in case. (Traffic, etc.) However, throughout the years, I've noticed that there are many people who are always very late.   Much too much waiting around (for me).  But, I cannot help myself, and have to always arrive a bit earlier than most. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

"If you're 10 minutes early,

you're 5 minutes too late."

That was a phrase my first boss said...stuck w/ me for 30 yrs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your boss was genius in brain washing you into working longer hours. Probably without pay.

If you are early, by definition you are there before your start time.  What in the world is wrong with that?

Odd how many upthread had the exact same thought,

but I was the chosen one to use the negative phrases like,

'brain washing' and 'probably without pay.' Hummmm.

What is wrong with that?

Absolutely frickin nothing.

I was an old-school personal secretary to a big-wig, hired during the height of the 80's salad days...nice annual raises & sweet bonuses.  And now retired at 52....do the math.  Those extra minutes paid off...nicely.  My friends called me the 'Loni Anderson/Jennifer Marlowe of WKRP'....a receptionist making more than everyone else in the office.  That was me.

Those extra minutes translated a 'job' to a 'career'.  

If one has a job mentality, you'll never understand it. 

I was always on salary and retired early too.  I never was concerned about the time too much one way or the other.  I've come in at 8:30, 7:30, 10:30 and been at the office at midnight and weekends too.  No time recorded.  Job well done.

I find it offensive that someone would say that crack about 10 minutes early is 5 minutes too late to be offensive to someone working for him, unless of course he was implying they weren't doing their job.   It sounds small minded for your boss to say that. . . 

Honored Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@house_cat wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@house_cat

@Tinkrbl44

Yes, they are paid salary. Most schools request that teachers come at this time, and leave at this time. Where I live, teachers and staff do not have adequate salaries.

I've been offered salary jobs in nursing over the years but I always turned them down because I had seen the hours whomever had that job before put in and I knew the salary was a rip off. I would attempt to negiotiate an hourly wage with appropriate OT or I'd just say No Thanks. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

"If you're 10 minutes early,

you're 5 minutes too late."

That was a phrase my first boss said...stuck w/ me for 30 yrs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your boss was genius in brain washing you into working longer hours. Probably without pay.

If you are early, by definition you are there before your start time.  What in the world is wrong with that?

Odd how many upthread had the exact same thought,

but I was the chosen one to use the negative phrases like,

'brain washing' and 'probably without pay.' Hummmm.

What is wrong with that?

Absolutely frickin nothing.

I was an old-school personal secretary to a big-wig, hired during the height of the 80's salad days...nice annual raises & sweet bonuses.  And now retired at 52....do the math.  Those extra minutes paid off...nicely.  My friends called me the 'Loni Anderson/Jennifer Marlowe of WKRP'....a receptionist making more than everyone else in the office.  That was me.

Those extra minutes translated a 'job' to a 'career'.  

If one has a job mentality, you'll never understand it. 

I was always on salary and retired early too.  I never was concerned about the time too much one way or the other.  I've come in at 8:30, 7:30, 10:30 and been at the office at midnight and weekends too.  No time recorded.  Job well done.

I find it offensive that someone would say that crack about 10 minutes early is 5 minutes too late to be offensive to someone working for him, unless of course he was implying they weren't doing their job.   It sounds small minded for your boss to say that. . . 

Calm down.

He didn't say it to me because I was always there...early.

Srsly....I have to explain that?  

Vince Lombardi had the same saying (slight difference).

Amazing mentor.  I was fortunate to have several amazing managers throughout my career.  I wish everyone could have had the same. 

IMG_1099.JPG