Honored Contributor

Re: Do you arrive early for work and other events?

@151949 wrote:

OK I have to ask this - many here said they like to get to events early so they can pee - I am led to wonder - don't you people pee before you leave home?How often do you all pee?If I go before I leave home I am easily good for about 4 hours before I'll need to go again.I certainly would not have to go again when I arrive if I went before I left home. I'd much rather pee at home before I leave than in a public rest room.

You know, people could choose to respond to this, but I'm taking the (much) higher road than you did in even writing the post, and just LM*O and SMH.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

I don't think that I've ever been late in my entire life!! I'm always early.Wherever I go weather it's for personal or business I'm always atleast a half hour early!! 

Honored Contributor

We used to go to dinner a lot with this other couple.  Of course, we would be at the restaurant on time because my husband is just like me in that regard.

Meanwhile, every freaking time they were late - anywhere from 15 to 45 minutes.

What was even more infuriating was how they, well mostly the wife anyway, would laugh it off with one of those stupidashell remarks like 'oh, hahaha - I would be late to my own funeral'.

We started just not taking it.  It's just so disrespectful.  We would give them 15 minutes past the agreed upon time (I think that's more than fair, sans some kind of emergency or something of course) and then just leave and go to another restaurant.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

We used to go to dinner a lot with this other couple.  Of course, we would be at the restaurant on time because my husband is just like me in that regard.

Meanwhile, every freaking time they were late - anywhere from 15 to 45 minutes.

What was even more infuriating was how they, well mostly the wife anyway, would laugh it off with one of those stupidashell remarks like 'oh, hahaha - I would be late to my own funeral'.

We started just not taking it.  It's just so disrespectful.  We would give them 15 minutes past the agreed upon time (I think that's more than fair, sans some kind of emergency or something of course) and then just leave and go to another restaurant.

I would have said the time was 5:30, instead of 6 (to allow them for being late). My friends/I had to do this with another friend who was always late. So we gave her an hour earlier time.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

OK I have to ask this - many here said they like to get to events early so they can pee - I am led to wonder - don't you people pee before you leave home?How often do you all pee?If I go before I leave home I am easily good for about 4 hours before I'll need to go again.I certainly would not have to go again when I arrive if I went before I left home. I'd much rather pee at home before I leave than in a public rest room.

Everyone is different. Something that you are never able to understand. I have to go a lot. It happens. I have never seen my BIL excuse himself for this and we have spent the whole day and whole evening with him. He says he rarely has to go. I must stop now or I will get a time out.

Honored Contributor

Early for everything here!  I do not like to rush or be rushed, I like to be able to arrive, find parking, find the ladies room, etc.

I live in a town with train tracks.  While they have done things to speed the trains up and made overpasses over the years, there are still a few places where I get stuck at the tracks.  It can be 3 minutes or 30 depending on the issue (train changing tracks, signal going crazy, arms not going back up after coming down, you name it!).

I live in a town with traffic.  It takes 30 minutes to go anywhere, park and walk to the door.  Even if it's a mile away.

At work, if a meeting or teleconference starts at 3:00 pm, I am there at 2:55 to find me seat  If it's a webex or other online visual meeting, I start at 2:45 to make sure it works, I can connect, the wifi is up.  I don't like to be the reason for a call with 30 people is delayed.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

I am early for everything, but have always been especially early for work.  Couldn't stand people coming in late and then sitting down for breakfast as if it was part of the job.

Honored Contributor

CLEM wrote:

I am early for everything, but have always been especially early for work.  Couldn't stand people coming in late and then sitting down for breakfast as if it was part of the job.

Oh yes!  It's always the ones who saunter in late who will sit down with their breakfast, go get some coffee, while they were supposed to be on the clock a while back, and think nothing of it.  Meanwhile, the realiable sorts are the ones working.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for all the responses. 

I read every one - I love to hear everyone's perspective.

@Lipstickdiva

I don't blame you for being upset about that.  Most of my doctors have the patient sign both 'time arrived' and 'appointment time'.  I guess that's more fair as long as everyone is honest.

One of my doctors is ALWAYS running late - very late, sometimes an hour or more.  I arrived early one day because I was going there right from work and didn't want to stop home, then be reluctant to go out again. I told the receptionist when I arrived that I was early and didn't mind waiting.  I signed in and prepared to wait, His sign-in sheet did not have a space for 'appt time' and his office was so screwy-louie, they never knew what was going on.  They called me in a half hour before my appointment time. When he realized it he commented on it, essentially telling  me that it wasn't right that I arrived early.  I was very embarrassed, but it really was the mistake of the receptionist. 

I do think, though, that there are times when they really have an unscheduled opening and I don't see a problem with them taking someone early if that's the case.

And on another note, though this post is already long-winded, I went to the walk in clinic a couple of months ago.  When I was walking up to the door, I noticed an older-than-me lady walking behind me so I held the door for her.  She thanked me, walked right in and signed ahead of me.  It didn't make that much difference, but it was kind of awkward.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@sfnative

The first time DH and I went to a potluck at my mom and dad's senior complex, we arrived "fashionably late" - got there at 6:20 when the gathering was scheduled for 6-9 pm.  Every bite of food was gone, except for what I had with me.  The director said, "You need to know, if the schedule says 6 o'clock, they're here at 5 o'clock."  Whaaaaaaa?

~ house cat ~