Honored Contributor

Re: Do you arrive early for work and other events?

Retired but when I did work my shift was either 6-2 or 7-3. My spouse was always on me because he was the stickler for going in early so he could see what went on thru the night or when he worked midnights would wait for our shift.  

I'd say to him it's 5:55 am I will have my AIS (a#### in seat) by 6 am. It drove him crazy ...and he is still like this.

but, in reality I am always early and never late - that drives me crazy. My friends are never on time they say "we're retired no hurry!"

lol

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm a military child. The motto in our house was "If you're on time, you're late; if you're early, you're on time". I still live by that motto which makes it difficult to deal with people who are chronically late.

Honored Contributor

akaburtonfan, didn't Frank Sinatra say something similar? I recall reading that he believed if you were a half hour early for a meeting or job, you were late.

Honored Contributor

I am always on time.  I was taught being late was rude.  It worked for me but not my sister.  The down side is that you have to sit around being annoyed at people who are late.  

Honored Contributor

When I worked, and my hours were 8:00 - 5:00, I would arrive at 7:45 so I would be ready to start working at 8:00.  And when it came to be 5:00, I would close up my area at 5:00 or later if I was in the middle of doing something that needed to be done......  Now, this could change a little depending on weather in the winter.....traffic could be horrible at that time of the day.

Always figured I was being paid to be there 8:00-5:00. 

Trusted Contributor

5 or 10 minutes is plenty.

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

I try to be a few minutes early for appointments or events. Where work is concerned I was always more concerned with the work product than with a punching the time clock mentality... 

When you work at a job where you have to relieve the previous shift , believe me , that person is ONLY concerned with you being on time and ready to start when you get there. If someone relieved me consistantly late I would usually start to return that favor.I worked with a guy who was the best nurse ever once he got to work , but was consistantly 30 to 60 min late - every single day. No matter which shift he worked. Then once he finally got there -he wouldn't get report until he had his routine he went through - which included going and having a smoke. He was eventually placed in a job where he worked alone in an office doing scheduling because it was much too disruptive having him upsetting everyone.

Honored Contributor

I am always 15 minutes early for my appointments.  

When I worked, I hit the time clock at whatever time I passed it on the way to the office.   My administrative support position was 24 hours a week, but I often adjusted my hours for both work load and office coverage.  If I had to cover the main desk 40 hours this week, then next week I would only work 8 hours, giving me 48 hours for the pay period.   I loved that flexibility.   

Honored Contributor

I am always early just because I work so hard to not be late!

But if it's something at somebody's house I will park down the street until about the time because it's rude to show up at somebody's house really early.   

When I worked I was always there before I was supposed to be.  I used to get so frustrated with people who had no social grace, or respect for the job, and would show up whenever.   It was always something like 'well, it's only 10/15/whatever minutes'.    Uh, no.  You are getting paid from x to x so you are supposed to be there and working when the time dictates.   Furthermore, when somebody is not there on time the other people have to pick up the slack.    Now - I'm REALLY glad I don't work anymore!

Honored Contributor

My DH is someone who is ALWAYS early for any event. Sometimes he makes me crazy. We get to church 1/2 hour before it starts. However, we only have one car now and when I need the car, it is 100% guarantee he will take that car on some errand right before I need to leave , then bring it back too late for me to be on time. This is nothing but manipulation and control, so, even though it is really a waste of money , I am thinking I have to get a second car to ****** this control issue in the bud! As it is now - I lie to him about what time my appointments are - I give myself a 15 to 30 min edge depending on how far I have to drive.