Trusted Contributor

Re: Do any of you have the type of gutters that don't need to be cleaned?

@momtochloe

I am so sorry you got “stuck” with the enclosed gutters.  We always thought we would need to be wary of sales reps in this type of field trying to sell us the most expensive product they carry.  We were pleasantly surprised and very appreciative that each & every one of the companies was honest & up front about the pros & cons.  For a moment every year, we I place the call to hire someone to come and clean the gutters, I wonder if we made the right decision.  Then…all winter long I am so glad we listened to the recommendations we were given.  We still have the potential for ice dams, but it is not as likely.  When I think there is a possibility I pick up some Roof Melt (Google Roof Melt to see it)– it is salt in a hockey puck size & shape.  You can stand on the ground and just toss up on the roof in areas that look like a potential ice problem.  It comes in a black square tub and I pick it up at the hardware store, but I’d bet the big box DIY stores carry it in winter, too.  Check it out, it is much easier than smaller salt pellets of the past.  My goal is to keep us both off ladders and this really helps.  I am with you, even the kitchen step stool is not as safe or smart at this stage of life.  Life is all about adapting to change. 

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

I looked at those and my in-laws (who have heavy leaf and needle fall-out) looked at them....talked to those who had them.....

we both chose no due to all the negative feed back we received.

Honored Contributor

@Havarti wrote:

@momtochloe

I am so sorry you got “stuck” with the enclosed gutters.  We always thought we would need to be wary of sales reps in this type of field trying to sell us the most expensive product they carry.  We were pleasantly surprised and very appreciative that each & every one of the companies was honest & up front about the pros & cons.  For a moment every year, we I place the call to hire someone to come and clean the gutters, I wonder if we made the right decision.  Then…all winter long I am so glad we listened to the recommendations we were given.  We still have the potential for ice dams, but it is not as likely.  When I think there is a possibility I pick up some Roof Melt (Google Roof Melt to see it)– it is salt in a hockey puck size & shape.  You can stand on the ground and just toss up on the roof in areas that look like a potential ice problem.  It comes in a black square tub and I pick it up at the hardware store, but I’d bet the big box DIY stores carry it in winter, too.  Check it out, it is much easier than smaller salt pellets of the past.  My goal is to keep us both off ladders and this really helps.  I am with you, even the kitchen step stool is not as safe or smart at this stage of life.  Life is all about adapting to change. 

Oh my goodness @Havarti thank you so much for the heads up on the Roof Melt!  As much as I love the cooler weather, I start to get a bit depressed about the Battle of the Ice Flow every winter.  I have never heard of this product, thank you so, so much for letting me know it exists as I still have a pretty good pitching arm . . . Smiley Happy

YAY!

Honored Contributor

@cherry

We just had a new roof put on and opted for covered gutters. DH wanted them so he wouldn't have to be on a ladder cleaning out rotted leaves from rusty gutters. I am cheering!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Trusted Contributor

@momtochloe

I hope you never need it, but it is a good investment to have a tub on hand…just in case.  If you do need it I hope it proves quick, handy and effective for you.  It is not cheap…maybe around $20 for a tub of 60 “tablets” (hockey pucks), but it beats a trip to urgent care or paying someone to come to your house.  They kind of look like an aspirin tablet for a giant….hence the word tablets. 

Stay safe!

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

@Havarti wrote:

@momtochloe

I hope you never need it, but it is a good investment to have a tub on hand…just in case.  If you do need it I hope it proves quick, handy and effective for you.  It is not cheap…maybe around $20 for a tub of 60 “tablets” (hockey pucks), but it beats a trip to urgent care or paying someone to come to your house.  They kind of look like an aspirin tablet for a giant….hence the word tablets. 

Stay safe!

@That is @$20 well spent my friend, thank you so much again for the heads up!  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

We have the leaf-guard type gutters and love them. We've never had any problems with them.
Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

I do not but my brother did and he ripped them off after one year. When it rained hard, water went OVER them like Niagra falls....My nice elderly neighbors got them and they had a hornets nests in them.....

We decided to just pay th neighborhood grass cutter to clean them..

Yes some leaves and debris can get in the gutters and weigh them down....then it is difficult to get the debris out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Esteemed Contributor

We hose our out twice a year. No problems! ( And we have a wooded lot.)
Regular Contributor

Yes. 11 years ago and they are perfect for us. I would definantly recommend.