Respected Contributor

@ECBG, thanks for the tip...I too have been using it, more for mail, but there are alternatives.

I can't believe they are doing this...remember the wars between Prodigy and AOL??? Are we going back to that again???

There are too many alternatives....but what if others follow suit? Where are we headed on this one?

I'm not a "techie, but this is disconcerting....

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

I just read through the posts and I am laughing! Gee,, some of us are clearly dating ourselves!!! Libby,, you are a youngster....I am not making fun of you-but AOL is PC History!!

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

CelticCrafter wrote:

Why is anyone still paying for AOL?  

You can get the free version, keep your e-mail address if you still use it for that.  It's the same version except you lose customer support.

i am not paying for it. i did pay for it way back when during the dial up era.

have been using AOL for 18 years now.

i have never had any security problems and i like that it is affiliated with huffpo.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

I didn't even know AOL existed anymore 

LOL...I thought the same thing.  I thought they went out of business years ago. 

Honored Contributor

@Stray wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

when i go to AOL.COM i get no pop-ups at all and nothing mentioning paying for any services.

@sunshine45- me either 

@Stray     @sunshine45

Me, either!

Honored Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

Though I haven't read any of the replies, because I've never had AOL and don't know of anyone who still has it, I'll share this:

Around 2010, the federal agency for which I worked sent out an email to all employees from the Computer Security folks.  Contained within that email was advice that if you had an AOL account, it would be in your best interest to discontinue that account and open an account with a different carrier.

@sfnative

It would have been interesting to know WHY .... or don't you know?

Honored Contributor

I used it when it was free.  When notified they were going to start charging for it (which was years ago) I stopped using it and closed it out. 

Now I think verizon has merged with them and no longer providing an email service, so they are utilizing AOL as their email service . . . or something like that.  And obviously they're going to charge for it.

I have comcast for my TV, computer and phone.  I also have MS Outlook and installed it as my email program, using comcast as the server address.  I don't pay extra for that.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Does anyone use AOL anymore??? I had an aquaintance that I tried to send her an email several times and it just kept bouncing back. When I'd see her I verified her email and yup it was correct. It was just because she had AOL plain and simple. Woman Frustrated

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Does anyone use AOL anymore??? I had an aquaintance that I tried to send her an email several times and it just kept bouncing back. When I'd see her I verified her email and yup it was correct. It was just because she had AOL plain and simple. Woman Frustrated

yes, i have been using it since the late 90s.

anyone can use it......just go to aol.com.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

@ECBG, thanks for the tip...I too have been using it, more for mail, but there are alternatives.

I can't believe they are doing this...remember the wars between Prodigy and AOL??? Are we going back to that again???

There are too many alternatives....but what if others follow suit? Where are we headed on this one?

I'm not a "techie, but this is disconcerting....

Poodlepet2

@Poodlepet2

Wow...Prodigy...now you bring back some memories I used them with my first adventure into cyber space.....some fond memories we had a nice group of regulars that were fun to communicate with....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”