Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

@ECBG, thanks for the tip...I too have been using it, more for mail, but there are alternatives.

I can't believe they are doing this...remember the wars between Prodigy and AOL??? Are we going back to that again???

There are too many alternatives....but what if others follow suit? Where are we headed on this one?

I'm not a "techie, but this is disconcerting....

Poodlepet2

@Poodlepet2,My first thought was "greedy!!!".  They already get money from advertisers.  They're not hurting for a minute.  "MORE is more".

Honored Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

I don't know what aol is. Search engine?

Oh goodness @libbyannE I beg of you please take in the spirit that it is intended but I have officially tipped into the old age generation . . . yes AOL used to be a service provider (think dial up and heads up, bring your earplugs (and sundial) as the screeching was brutal until it connected) and Internet Explorer ran the best browser at the time out of business that being my beloved Netscape . . . Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@sfnative wrote:

Though I haven't read any of the replies, because I've never had AOL and don't know of anyone who still has it, I'll share this:

Around 2010, the federal agency for which I worked sent out an email to all employees from the Computer Security folks.  Contained within that email was advice that if you had an AOL account, it would be in your best interest to discontinue that account and open an account with a different carrier.

@sfnative

It would have been interesting to know WHY .... or don't you know?

@Tinkrbl44

I'm wracking my brain trying to think back 7 years to exactly what was said in that email, because they did provide a reason.  The best thing I can come up is that they alluded to AOL being "vulnerable" to a great many of the bad things that can occur.  In other words, AOL had holes in its algorhytm designs and the DoD was aware of this.  Hope this helps.

Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

Why is anyone still paying for AOL?  

You can get the free version, keep your e-mail address if you still use it for that.  It's the same version except you lose customer support.

I have had AOL since the 90's and paid a small fee monthly for years when a friend told me to stop paying.  I listened to her and and I continued getting the same service without customer support.  Many people criticize AOL but I have never had a problem and see no reason to change to a different provider.  A dear friend asked his son-in-law who is a computer professional if AOL causes computer problems   and he was told absolutely not, there is no reason to discontinue the service or to be afraid to use it.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam