Respected Contributor

I hope she told the store manager that the returned ones were not okay.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

Once, about 20 years ago.  I really had a taste for watermelon so I went past a grocery store to go to this produce market.  Got the watermelon home, it looked good and about an hour later I decided to cut it.  It was a soggy, mealy, mushy mess!  I was so angry that I put it in a box and took it back for a refund.   No apology or anything.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

Rather than take smelly stuff back, I've taken the register receipt and spoken to someone in Customer Service for credit.  Believe me, they are very happy you didn't bring in the offensive item!!!

Places like Costco require you to return SOMETHING from the bad fruit back. Seriously. The told me on another watermelon I had that was all mush on the inside that I needed to bring back something, even if it is just a peice of rind or seeds. I thought they were joking. They were not. I didn't understand this because I had the receipt. It clearly showed I bought the watermelon there and I think in the 8 years I've been a member I've only returned maybe 3 things. Strange.

Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Return Bad Fruit

[ Edited ]

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

Once, about 20 years ago.  I really had a taste for watermelon so I went past a grocery store to go to this produce market.  Got the watermelon home, it looked good and about an hour later I decided to cut it.  It was a soggy, mealy, mushy mess!  I was so angry that I put it in a box and took it back for a refund.   No apology or anything.

watermelons really are the hardest in terms of getting a decent one. My husband used to be a produce guy in a big grocery store and knows how to pick good ones most of the time but even he has picked a few duds over the years. They are nasty too.

Respected Contributor

@skuggles wrote:

I never have, but I'm thinking I should. I have thrown out more peaches than I care to admit, this summer. They were pulpy ? Woman LOL inside , as opposed to ripe.  I have such a weakness for them, but when it comes to peaches, I find it hard to determine how ripe they are. I will return and have  returned bad meat.

I love fresh peaches and I've had the same problem lately!  I know exactly what you mean when you say pulpy inside.  I choose peaches that look beautiful and feel ripe but then I cut into them and yuck!

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, with the price of fruits and vegetables these days, I absolutely return bad produce.

Respected Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

I've had that experience and reaction with chicken.  Haven't done anything with produce yet.  

Honored Contributor

I throw bad fruit in the freezer and return at my convenience.Food is expensive and greater care needs to be taken by stores to rotate and not over purchase.

Honored Contributor

No, I've never returned anything to the grocery store.  I pitch it.  I seldom keep any receipts so even if I wanted to probably could not.

Respected Contributor

Yes.  I bought a bag of oranges that were very hard to peel and were sour.  They gave me double my money back.