Trusted Contributor

Do You Remember This Type of Pen?

I am trying to locate vintage/antique ballpoint pens that had a special feature. The bottom barrel of the pen had liquid in it and floating in the liquid was an object. They were usually advertising pens and the object would be what that vendor was selling. For instance, I have one pen like that from Prudential and floating in the liquid is a rock because Prudential is a "rock" for you.

I've tried googling a description but just get modern day pen hits, went to e-bay and found one (from a bank with shredded money in the liquid of the barrel), and tried a Bing search, also. I called a pen manufacturer and she told me the pen clubs she knew about probably did not collect this type of pen, as pen collectors usually want the expensive desk pens for their collection.

Thanks for any leads you may give me.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Trusted Contributor

Re: Do You Remember This Type of Pen?

I know just the pens you're talking about. They were often made into souvenir pens from popular tourist attractions. I used to collect them on my domestic travels. I haven't seen the advertising ones, but I'd assume a pen manufacturer somewhere still makes them. I'll look and see what I can find. I think I got rid of mine, but if I have any maybe I can decipher the manufacturer's name.

ETA: I got lucky on my first search on Google check it out HERE

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=souvenir+pen+with+floating+image

Regular Contributor

When I googled ballpoint pens with floaters a lot of links came up. I don't know if that is helpful or not. I see they are also called liquid pens. CH
Trusted Contributor

Also... check out "floaty pen" on ebay and you'll get 516 listings. Some are the advertising type for a business that you seem interested in. Most are souvenir type, but if you sort thru you'll find some promotional ones.

Tha name of the "original floaty pen manufacturer" is ESKESEN and their website is HERE

http://www.eskesen.com/

Respected Contributor

I think they still sell these ""floater"" pens at Disneyworld. I have one with Tinkerbell sailing down from the Castle.

Honored Contributor

For vintage, I'd think you'd have to search ebay. These pens are still currently made and sold wholesale, and at almost every public venue that sells souvenirs - museums, sporting events, attractions, amusement parks, etc.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

I remember those pens. My dad had one with tiny red dice in the float chamber.

Honored Contributor

I remember seeing a pen that when you stood it up, a man's pant came down. {#emotions_dlg.scared}

You laid it down the pants went back up.{#emotions_dlg.w00t}

I just know you'll find what you're looking for on ebay!

Honored Contributor

On 3/28/2015 Lucky charm said:

I remember seeing a pen that when you stood it up, a man's pant came down. {#emotions_dlg.scared}

I have that actual pen. It's old. Not sure where I got it. lol

I have one with rocks in it. (floating in water) I got it at a souvenir shop.

733db676b89922a7e5164aacc79efe43.jpg (236×314)

Honored Contributor

On 3/28/2015 Lucky charm said:

there are also vintage pens where a scantily clad woman became a topless woman when you picked up the pen.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein