Honored Contributor

Do You Remember Korla Pandit?

Korla played the organ most of the time, and the piano.  He developed a type of music known as "Exotica."

I remember it seemed like he was always on TV wearing a turban, staring out at us with those eyes.

I was surfing through the PBS stations late last night and came across an interview with him by a man studying the era of lounge musicians.

It was so fascinating, I did a little research on him.  He was really an African-American man.  Remember, back then, the 50s and 60s, so many stars had created backgrounds and names.

Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Remember Korla Pandit?

I haven't thought of him in a long time.

korla

Respected Contributor

@Noel7 ~ I have never heard of him...originally from east coast, maybe that has something t do with it?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AKgirl2 wrote:

@Noel7 ~ I have never heard of him...originally from east coast, maybe that has something t do with it?

Hi AK girl Smiley Happy

He was from Missouri but he did move out to Hollywood at some point.  I think he was on national TV.

Fascinating guy, very talented, at one point he starred as a magician.  He never spoke on this shows that I remember.  I suppose because he didn't have an Indian accent.

@AKgirl2

Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Remember Korla Pandit?a

the magnetic theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyyKbUwrAFo

miserlou

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9ytSC8rz84

have never heard of korla pandit before.

very interesting background though as i was reading through his wiki page......will have to watch for this pbs special.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Jude Law could portray him in a movie. The resemblance is striking.

Respected Contributor

Never heard of him.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

Korla played the organ most of the time, and the piano.  He developed a type of music known as "Exotica."

I remember it seemed like he was always on TV wearing a turban, staring out at us with those eyes.

I was surfing through the PBS stations late last night and came across an interview with him by a man studying the era of lounge musicians.

It was so fascinating, I did a little research on him.  He was really an African-American man.  Remember, back then, the 50s and 60s, so many stars had created backgrounds and names.

@Noel7.......I saw the whole show late last night.  Think it was on for like 2 hours.  Was trying to go to sleep when I first started watching, but just couldn't quit watching it.  That interview took place on the show about Maya Angelou.....excellent show.  It was on her life.  It was on PBS World.  Maya Angelou was from St. Louis.  She is the one that read the poem she wrote for Bill Clinton's Inauguration.  She was a very interesting woman.....and what a life she had.

Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Remember Korla Pandit?a

Thanks @sunshine45 

Trippy music, as they say Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

HI @ShowMe !

I only saw the part about Korla Pandit and then a few minutes of the guy who came after him.  It was fascinating!

Then I looked him up in Wiki, checked the images section online and it was even more fascinating.

Love Maya Angelou Smiley Happy