Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Pay Bills Online Or Write A Check?

I pay most of my bills (cable, gas, electric, telephone) by check. My credit card bills are paid by phone. They have my checking account number and bank routing number on file, so it's quick and efficient. I refuse to pay them online, as l don't want those banking numbers floating around in "cyberspace."

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

i continue to do both, but pay bills more online than by check.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I don't own any credit cards, own my house, my car, etc.  But the bills I have (i.e. electric, etc) are automatically taken out of my account.

It's only because I've always been terrible about setting aside time to pay bills so this is the easiest way for me.  

There aren't many so it makes it easy to keep an eye on what gets taken out.  It's only because I'm lazy.  It's only been since my husband died.  Before that, I was in charge of paying everything on time, etc.  Now I don't mess with it but then I am 70 years old.

I think most of us Seniors, if we live long enough we just don't have that many bills.

Honored Contributor

(thread title)

Most with auto withdraw. Other monthly or quarterly bills, when available, online. Work done in our home, some by cash, others, when available by debit card, check is my last choice.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I still write checks.....the ONE TIME I decided to let my bank pay the electric bill, they paid it late!! Really!...The electric tried to get me for a late fee, I threw a fit, they called the bank and they confessed they paid it late. The fee was waived.

Never again.

Honored Contributor

I have many bill payments taken out automatically.  The rest I pay by my Bank's Bill Pay.  Just about the only things I ever write checks for is for the person who takes care of my yard in the summer and handymen working around the house.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I am from the old school. I will write checks until the day they are obsolete.  I do bank on line, but draw the line with paying bills. I do not want anyone to have access to my accounts automatically withdrawing money. PERIOD. 

Honored Contributor

While I'm very proficient on the computer, my husband is not. He doesn't use one. 

He asked that we pay our bills the old fashioned way. They come in the mail, we write a check. I was fine with it. So that's what we do. 

We also still get hard copy bank statements mailed to us. Clark Howard recommended that people start getting them again a little more than a year ago I think. We never stopped getting them. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

@Oneanddone, too personal.  

*Call Tyrone*
Respected Contributor

I don't even know where our checkbook is anymore. My Husband does everything online. Which I don't always agree with, but he's a computer guy. 

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )