Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Live Close To Your Grown Children?

Congratulations!   If you are physically & financially able, do it.

I have a long commute and considered moving closer to work.   That would take me at least an hour away from my kids & grandkids.    I decided not to move, to stay closer to my family.    I am not going to work forever but I'll have my family forever.

I live in the South, so weather is not an issue.    I can understand someone wanting to move to a warmer climate in their retirement, I don't know what I would do in that situation.    

@dulwich

Respected Contributor

I am blessed to live under the same roof

Honored Contributor

My only child and his family live 45 min. away from me.  Not close enough to just get in the car at the end of the work day to go get some granddaughter kisses but close enough to see the three of them often.

Growing up myself in the 60's and 70's all of my family were here in one town.  All my aunts, uncles and cousins sitting together in church every Sunday, at least the same school district if not actual school then the week-end family trips to our Family Lakehouse for the summer fun.  It was a given you were with all the generations for the week-end at some point.  Usually at least lunch after church every Sunday.

I miss those days of Grandparents on down to the diaper member.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@DowntonAbbey wrote:

I wish I would have had more than one child.  He lives so far away...........I miss him so much and my grand girls and I do love now my daughter in law.............i really do love her and I gave her so many things...........to show her I love her but she will never love me as I am a Christian and she is atheist and hates christians.

Your daughter-in-law sounds charming. SMH. I would want nothing to do with her.

Esteemed Contributor

I live just a few miles from my daugher, her husband and my grandson. I have a very close relationship with my daughter and always have. Not to say we haven't argued but in all honestly not often at all. I love living close to her and I would say we see each other almost daily and if we don't we call or text daily.

I realize though that not everyone has that relationship with their children or family in general. I was raised in a home where I was and still am close with my mom, dad (before he died), brother and sister so it seems very natural to me.

While I can understand that not all parents have a close relationship with their children I really don't understand your friends responding negatively to those who do. I think people who respond that you are crazy to move near family probably have had an experience that was extremely toxic. Even if you don't have children I don't understand those who are childless telling you that you are crazy to move near them. I don't think a real friend would respond like that, IMO.

I am not the kind of person who thinks family should be close no matter what. I think toxic people who refuse to get help or try for a change should be cut from your life until they make an effort and that includes family. If I had a family member who was like that, I wouldn't feel the least bit guilty from cutting them out of my life. Thankfully I am not facing that now. 

I hope you enjoy being close to your kids and their family. I know for me, that relationship I have with my daughter, SIL and grandson is one of the most important relationships I have and I could not imagine not having that. My family is what brings me most joy and honestly the people I most enjoy hanging out with. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@DowntonAbbey wrote:

I wish I would have had more than one child.  He lives so far away...........I miss him so much and my grand girls and I do love now my daughter in law.............i really do love her and I gave her so many things...........to show her I love her but she will never love me as I am a Christian and she is atheist and hates christians.

I am an Atheist and I have lots of friends who are Atheist and none of them hate Christians. That is not to say there aren't those who don't. My mother is about as Roman Catholic as you can get without being the Pope and we have a great relationship but we work on it. In all honesty I read the many terrible and quit racist things you wrote about your DIL and you couldn't have started things off on a more negative note with her. YOU were the one who judged her religion (or lack thereof) from the start. Your DIL may not like you but from what you have written I highly doubt it is because of your religion @DowntonAbbey. You bugged your son constantly to go to church or see things your way, you wrote that here yourself. 

As an Atheist I have friends who both don't believe and who believe very much and that has never affected my relationship with them unless they tried to force their way of thinking upon me. I don't force my way of thinking upon them and I expect the same in return. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@DowntonAbbey wrote:

I doubt she hates Christians so much as she doesn't want to discuss religion or have it crammed down her throat.😏

Trusted Contributor

Right now, yes, we live in the same town as all of our children. I know our oldest son will leave after he finishes his Masters for a job out of state...he will not find a decent paying job in this town with his degrees. Our middle son, was looking for a job out of state, but his boss offered him a position and clients that made it a lot easier to stay here. They just bought a house here in town too. Our daughter is marrying a man who will never move out of this state...he is a country boy, and they have land and the start of a farm. They ain't moving. LOL

My husband and I are toying with the idea of moving either to the upstate or out of state. Right now it's in the talking stages, and we do not know what we are going to do. If we did move, it would not be more than 3-4 hours away because we want to be part of our grandchildren's lives...go to the school plays, soccer games, scout things...you know.

We have started to go through the attic and garage stuff..I am about to have Goodwill pull up with a truck and tow it away. LOL

Honored Contributor

OMG it's Roses and Rainbows who got banned and is now back with this name!!!

Now some of the stuff I've seen her post all makes non-sense!!

Trusted Contributor

I have accepted their no belief and I do not discuss religion with them at all and have not for quite a while......we all have choices........I am friends with many of my sons friends that are atheist on my facebook.........so one day it will mend.........again, in 2012 and 2013 I was not doing well with my head injury and thinking and I have learned so much since then..........there will people that will forgive and there will be those who don't.  I have done my part and being kind and that is all I can do. My son wants me to move in with them but I will need her to want it also.  I would love to help with the girls........but I want her to want me there.