Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Live Close To Your Grown Children?

@dulwich, I can't think of anything better, happier or more heart-warming than knowing that your children, their spouses and their children all want you around. Fantastic!

I think it most likely the naysayers don't have happy, smooth relationships in their own families - which is actually more the norm than not, you would sometimes think from listening to those around you.

You know your children & grandchildren, like as well as love them, and you all enjoy each others company. Go for it with a happy heart!

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@dulwich

Enjoy your new journey nothing better than family. My kids, niece, cousins ask me all the time please come home & it's nice to know they mean it.

Im counting the days til my GD & son get here! Then I'll return home with them for Easter.  I plan to stay a few weeks ... airfare & other things got in the way I haven't been home since January (seems like a lifetime to me!)

Respected Contributor

I only have a DD 28yrs single & lives in an apt about 15min from us. We talk everyday but I see her once every 2 weeks. She has her friends & her space and we do too but we are close by. Just because you live close to your kids doesn't mean you see them all the time.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde Hello dear friend - I hope you are enjoying your new home as I believe you made a move a while ago too.  You and I - I think - will be in and around the same Oceanside - keep well.

Respected Contributor

Yes and we are glad we do. 

Valued Contributor

They never left!Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

@dulwich wrote:

@Moonchilde Hello dear friend - I hope you are enjoying your new home as I believe you made a move a while ago too.  You and I - I think - will be in and around the same Oceanside - keep well.

Hi @dulwich, that we will!

I've had an "interesting" last several months health-wise. Nothing serious or awful, but it's really been cramping my style, as they say. In another couple of months I should be "good to go" again, though and happy to drive up the coast :-)

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

This was a HUGE obstacle in our decision to move after my dh retired. Every time I even thought of leaving my grown children I'd just cry. Well, my dh and I had a firm talk with each other and decided that it would be the best for our financial situation and his retirement. We sold our home and moved up to our summer cottage. We're just 4 hours away from our children. My children and I talk/text daily and we see them every few months. We now live in a tourist area and my kids love coming up with a free place to stay while enjoying all the amenities up here! Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

We are "late" grandparents and live about 10 minutes from each of our kids, and we are so happy to be close.

Since we waited so long to be grandparents we are glad to babysit on the spur of the moment and we are often doing so!

Respected Contributor

I don't have grandchildren but two grown children, one lives about 4 hours away and the other one lives about 15 minutes for us.  DH & I have discussed leaving the area, going where it's warmer and cheaper to live when he retires but that  means being further away from our two children and that's one hard decision.  I still don't know what we'll do.  Every situation is different and if it's possible to be near family I always say "go for it", family is everything.  Enjoy!