Respected Contributor

Re: Do You Live Close To Your Grown Children?

We live in southwest Florida. The oldest son is in VA near DC. Our younger son and two daughters are back in upstate New York. We visit them as often as we can and they visit us, about once or twice a year. If I had the monetary resources, I might visit more often. It's fine the way it is. 

Esteemed Contributor

@dulwich wrote:

For the past 13+ years we have lived in a different state away from our married daughter, grand children and newly arrived first great grandchild.  See them about 2/3 times a year.

For the past year or so all of them have been asking us to "come home" back to their state so that we can all see each other and be a complete family together especially our married granddaughter who wants us to enjoy her new baby too.

We have now made the decision and are upping and planning to move in approx 6 mos.  We are all very excited about this new venture but many of our friends here think we are "crazy to move near family", but most of them do not have children.  We love our family and think we are fortunate they want us old uns with them.

My daughter and son in law say we need you guys here to complete us all.

It has surprised me the negative responses we have heard about this - just wondering what general opinions were.

Anyhow we will soon be off.

Congrats. You will love it. We are only about 10 minutes from my sisters family. There is nothing like grandparents being able to go to their activities. You are going to love bring apart of their lives. We will be moving only about five minutes when we move this fall. My other sister lives four hours away. It's just not the same. My mom quit her part time job when my nephew was born and my sister went back to work. She watched his sister also. Now he is in 2nd grade and my niece is in preschool 4 days a week. My sister only goes into the office twice week and every other Friday. We still watch my niece 2 half days and all day every other Friday. Their relationship with my parents is so awesome. When school is out we will have both for a couple days a week.

Esteemed Contributor

My children live one hour from us. (My daughter is married w 3 kids, my son is engaged). When my son gets married (next year) he will live 2 hours from us.

I used to live 10 minutes from my kids until I got remarried 10 years ago.

I always watched my daughters childern part time. Right now my daughter isnt working so I dont have the children (plus my grandchildren are older now). But I still see my children and grandchildren lots for birthdays, movies, dinners, Christmas, and other get togethers. So its all good.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Esteemed Contributor

Before my parents decided to build they weren't sure if they wanted to build or buy a newer préexisting home. My sisters neighbor put their house up for sale and actually looked into seeing if my parents wanted to buy it. Our neighbor who lost his wife last year has his daughter living in the same housing addition. It works out well because she can keep a eye on him.

We are lucky that my parents get along very well with my brother in law. My parents and his parents are pretty good friends. It seems we are all just one big family. But I agree try not to give advice unless it is asked or the children are being hurt. It all just works well. It is wonderful to be a part of your kids lives on a daily basis. even though they are adults. You did something right with raising them that they are asking you to move closer and not trying to run away from you. And you have a great son in law.

Honored Contributor

Would you move there if the family wasn't there?  Does the area meet your needs?  If so, why not do it.  Family wanting you closer is the icing on the cake.

Respected Contributor

@GCR18  Yes the area meets every requirement plus by the ocean which we love so we are looking forward to our move.  Thank you for your comment.

Honored Contributor

We are about 40 minutes away.  We see more of them during the summer as the Grands love the beach, so stay overnight about once a week.

The school year is hectic.  We try to go to games and events they participate in..

Trusted Contributor

I wish I would have had more than one child.  He lives so far away...........I miss him so much and my grand girls and I do love now my daughter in law.............i really do love her and I gave her so many things...........to show her I love her but she will never love me as I am a Christian and she is atheist and hates christians.

Honored Contributor

😢Sadly no!

I would move back home in a minute.

Esteemed Contributor

@DowntonAbbey wrote:

I wish I would have had more than one child.  He lives so far away...........I miss him so much and my grand girls and I do love now my daughter in law.............i really do love her and I gave her so many things...........to show her I love her but she will never love me as I am a Christian and she is atheist and hates christians.

I thought your DIL took your granddaughter and went back to her native country.