Respected Contributor

Re: Dishwasher Odor

[ Edited ]

@fortune

I don't see why you couldn't use cider vinegar in a pinch.  It is the same 5 percent acidity as white vinegar, but do get some white vinegar when you can and run a second vinegar-only  wash cycle soon.

If you have a relatively new Bosch dishwasher like I do,  and you haven't done the routine cleaning of the crud that builds up and is barely visible on the interior rims of the removable filter (which comes apart in two pieces), this could be causing your odor, although cleaning  it didn't solve mine.

What did seem to work was a couple of wash cycles with a wide-bottomed  bowl of white vinegar balanced on top of the plate dividers in the lower part of the machine.  No dishes or utensils should be included.

You could tell from the murky, cloudy appearance of all the water left in that bowl after the wash cycle was done that SOMETHING had built up in the machine and needed that cleaning!  I ran a second vinegar-wash cycle, and haven't detected odor since then.

Good luck........I know how sketchy the factory instructions can be when it comes to solving appliance problems, because who wants the customer to even think there will ever be a problem???

By the way, I will never buy another Bosch..........my past Kitchen-Aids were better all the way around while they lasted.  I actually  want the Bosch to break so I can replace it.

Super Contributor

I learned this many many moons ago from a guy who used to do a radio show and it's all I use and/or do.

Inthe bottom of an empty dishwasher sprinkle a container of Tang and run through a regular cycle.  It not only cleans out the dishwasher but helps clean out the pipes too.  

I know it sounds strange but it works.

http://dishwashers.reviewed.com/features/if-your-dishwasher-is-dirty-try-cleaning-with-tang

Grow old my body but stay young my heart
Honored Contributor

I don't really know why I thought of this:  Maybe Listerine mouthwash?  In a flavor you like.  Kills germs, I believe.  Maybe let it sit for awhile, then start the dishwasher.  I don't know, it's a thought.  (BTW white or cider vinegar would work, too.) 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

p.s.  I like the Tang idea! 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Listerine is more expensive than white vinegar and white vinegar is much more useful.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

I had it and it was driving me crazy. I tried the vinegar-nothing. I finally googled it. OMgosh, there were hundreds of people with the same problem. One girl referred to it as a cross between wet dog and pond scum. It was horrible. So one guy, bless his heart, mentioned the dishes, not the dishwasher being the cause. He said something about clay based on something they use in the manufacturing process. So I finally nailed it.It was the Corelle dishes I had bought not long ago. Stopped using them-no odor.

When I wash my dishes, there is NO food on the dishes!  I can't understand what causes the odor!  But, I'll use the stuff I ordered for cleaning dish washers and see what happens.

Honored Contributor

I clean with white vinegar, when I ate meat I rinsed it with white vinegar before cooking, I use it mixed in with the liquid fabric softener & as a once in a while cleaner of dishwasher.

Why white vinegar?  Because my Grandmom cleaned with it, and rinsed meat with it.  Just one of those things.

Also almost never use the dry cycle, just open and roll out dish racks to let air dry.  This gives the inside some time to dry.  Or so I think.  Could be I'm just frugal.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras