Honored Contributor

Re: Dining Out with Someone - This Bugs Me

Whether or not one agrees with it, how can a restaurant practice that's been around a minimum of fifty years be said to be politically correct?

Just wondering.

Respected Contributor

my experience has been that the waitstaff will ask first if you are finished, and or ask if you would like your plate removed.  to me, that brings the responsibility of the plate leaving the table on the person dining. 

Honored Contributor

@ladyroxanne wrote:

my experience has been that the waitstaff will ask first if you are finished, and or ask if you would like your plate removed.  to me, that brings the responsibility of the plate leaving the table on the person dining. 

Yes, I'd say that's pretty common now.

Honored Contributor

Well if you're the slow eater, and others are done their entrees, whether their slimy plates is still sitting in front of them or it's not, it's obvious you're the only one still eating.

I guess I can't believe it would be that embarrassing.  I wouldn't think it was an issue at all.

Trusted Contributor

I worked at two Five Star, Five Diamond hotels for several years. I worked VERY fancy dinners with many courses and we were expected to wait until ALL guests finished their meals before clearing the plate. We also removed any silverware that was not needed/unused.

In very fine dining, this is the norm.

In contrast, I also worked at regular restaurants where it was "turn and burn". As soon as someone was finished, you remove the plate. This was especially important when there was a buffet.

Honored Contributor

"Are you still working on that?"

This is on my list of least favorite phrases and it's found in varying levels of restaurants - depending on how much training a server received or perhaps claimed they already had.

I am not sure why there is such an insistence on "eating while it's hot."  Many foods can be enjoyed at warm temps.  After all, it is hot enough when served, and if it's any good, it's meant to be savored, not gobbled.   

I understand what Hot Street is saying.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@flickerbulb wrote:

I worked at two Five Star, Five Diamond hotels for several years. I worked VERY fancy dinners with many courses and we were expected to wait until ALL guests finished their meals before clearing the plate. We also removed any silverware that was not needed/unused.

In very fine dining, this is the norm.

In contrast, I also worked at regular restaurants where it was "turn and burn". As soon as someone was finished, you remove the plate. This was especially important when there was a buffet.

Thank you.  It most certainly is the norm in good to excellent restaurants, and for sure that is true around San Francisco and the Wine Country.

I don't think any of us who know that expect the same service at a diner or neighborhood restaurant, and we should not be chastised for knowing the correct protocol.

Valued Contributor

I don't know why they persist in attempting to remove the plates ~ although reading the posts here, I get the impression that many don't like the "dirty" plate left in front of them.

I'm missing something ~ what makes an empty plate "dirty"? eh. nm.

I'm a slower eater and those eating with me don't allow the servers to start on the dishes before we're all done.

I often wonder what the rush is? Dining out is supposedly about more than food consumption.

Honored Contributor

@tennpal15

I totally agree with you.  Eating out with friends is a time for good food, wine, perhaps, enjoying that together and enjoying each other's company.

It's not about keeping track of how long it takes others to finish their meal and judging them. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

i fine dine at least 3 times per month. Most restaurants we frequent are all rated highly and are considered high end gourmet restaurants. With that being said, in my neck of the woods these restaurants hire bus boys who barely speak English (mainly from Guatemala, Haiti and other  impoverished countries) and  they are clearly inexperienced and underpaid. These young men will often take our plates without asking (with food still left on it) and many times I've had to say "wait, I'm not finished!' They also serve as well as clear and refill water glasses.  The primadonna waiter basically just takes the order and discusses the specials. So the job is left for the the these young men to serve (many times their thumbs are in the plate and in the food - disgusting). I am so sick of these restaurants not training these employees properly and likely not testing them for Hepatitis and other diseases.  We experience this all the time and I can list the "five star" establishments one by one that hire non-English speaking busboys.