Respected Contributor

Re: Did you go to private or parochial schools and do you think you had a better education than public schools?

On 2/27/2014 Brinklii said:

Around here, the kids who went to parochial school for eight years were behind when they got to high school.

We went to parochial school for a while as my mother had always attended parochial school. She talked so highly about how strict the nuns were and how much she learned. Unfortunately, my brother and one of my sisters were behind in parochial school here, so my mother took us all out and put us in public school. They caught up quite quickly then. The public school we attended had very strict teachers.

I think it just depends on the school...and how motivated the student is.

It was the opposite in my school. The kids who came into the middle school from Catholic school were ahead of us.
( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Super Contributor

Re: Did you go to private or parochial schools and do you think you had a better education than public schools?

I went to parochial school for eight years. I was an A student so when I went on to 9th grade public school, I was put in the gifted program. Well, I found out quickly that I couldn't keep up and needed a lot of help. Apparently, our local public school system was far more advanced than my parochial school had been and my grades dropped precipitously. I remember not having read most of the literature that was spoken of in my 9th grade English class. I had never been taught a language beside English, so my foreign language skills were non-existent where as my classmates had started a language in 6th grade in the public school system.

I do think parochial schools try and emphasize different things than a public school but overall my education in the public school system was far superior...

Honored Contributor

The public high school I went to was based on classical education. I had several years of Latin and our English program was run by instructors from the best university in the area. They wove history and English literature together. It was an amazing program, imo.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

On 2/27/2014 serenity4ever said:

I went to parochial school for eight years. I was an A student so when I went on to 9th grade public school, I was put in the gifted program. Well, I found out quickly that I couldn't keep up and needed a lot of help. Apparently, our local public school system was far more advanced than my parochial school had been and my grades dropped precipitously. I remember not having read most of the literature that was spoken of in my 9th grade English class. I had never been taught a language beside English, so my foreign language skills were non-existent where as my classmates had started a language in 6th grade in the public school system.

I do think parochial schools try and emphasize different things than a public school but overall my education in the public school system was far superior...

Maybe that had something to do with the times. I had a lot of friends in Catholic school and for sure there was a big difference in curriculum. Quite bit of time was spent on religious study, so that may have had something to do with it.

There's a very well known Catholic high school in this area, very highly regarded. They had religious study and prayers every day, everyone had to attend. They were so good (and still are), they drew students from other walks of life. I remember they finally gave them permission not to attend the required religious study.

Super Contributor

On 2/27/2014 NoelSeven said:

Maybe that had something to do with the times. I had a lot of friends in Catholic school and for sure there was a big difference in curriculum. Quite bit of time was spent on religious study, so that may have had something to do with it.

There's a very well known Catholic high school in this area, very highly regarded. They had religious study and prayers every day, everyone had to attend. They were so good (and still are), they drew students from other walks of life. I remember they finally gave them permission not to attend the required religious study.

I only had one religious class a day and it was about 45 minutes. The emphasis was on writing skills and penmanship. I remember I won the prize for Handwriting in 1st grade.{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Honored Contributor

I only had one religious class a day and it was about 45 minutes. The emphasis was on writing skills and penmanship. I remember I won the prize for Handwriting in 1st grade.{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Congratulations! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Super Contributor

{#emotions_dlg.laugh} Yes and I still feel guilty if I don't write my letters perfectly... The nuns did a good job of instilling guilt.{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Honored Contributor

{#emotions_dlg.laugh} Yes and I still feel guilty if I don't write my letters perfectly... The nuns did a good job of instilling guilt.{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

I have a thing about good handwriting, too, but you know... until I looked at that chart again, I'd forgotten the correct way to make a capital q. I make mine like a keyboard, Q.

Super Contributor

They look like "2"'s...I never had good penmanship....and we used to get graded in it, remember?

Honored Contributor

On 2/27/2014 stilltamn8r said:

They look like "2"'s...I never had good penmanship....and we used to get graded in it, remember?

I do!

Here's one called the New American Cursive. Much more functional, imo, and basically the way I always write, except for a capital g. I just make mine a larger g.