Respected Contributor

What is "Valspeak"? I have lived in SoCal 45 yrs. and have never heard that term.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Respected Contributor

I'm not from Boston, but worked there for several years.  One of my pet peeves is when a Hollywood actor tries to mimic a Boston accent.  It is much more complex than just saying "Caaahhh" for the word car.  Even Matt Damon and Ben Affleck can no longer do an authentic Boston accent, and they grew up there.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Respected Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

What is "Valspeak"? I have lived in SoCal 45 yrs. and have never heard that term.

Valspeak = Valley Girls accent.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Respected Contributor

@Topaz Gem wrote:

@catwhisperer wrote:

@Topaz Gem...is that like because we say "like" all the time? LOL

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@nun ya wrote:

I'm a Yinzer. Smiley Happy

So is my brother, though it always elicited a response from our Mom. She would always either give him a smack on the head or correct him or usually both. But she is gone 25 years now so he has fallen back into bad habits.His wife is froim W Va and she also says yinz , I love them both to death anyway.My mom would cringe just as much when I would say you all after spending a whole lot of our childhood in Florida. Other phrases learned in Florida from our nanny - fixin to and chillins for children. 

What does 'yinz' stand for?  I can't even guess! ;-)

Honored Contributor

My parents were born and raised in So Cal and so was I.  I don't think we have accents at all.  I moved from there to the Pacific Northwest and they also do not have accents.  We speak the same at the news readers on CBS, NBC and ABC.  I had two co-workers when I was still in Cali that were from New York - one had no accent and the other sounded like pure Bronx accents that I had only heard in movies.  

Respected Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

@Topaz Gem wrote:

@catwhisperer wrote:

That's one of the indications, LOL.  Another is 'uptalk', which is when you end a sentence with your voice going up in a question mark when you're not asking a question.  Teenage girls from everywhere go through a Valspeak phase.  They eventually outgrow it. :-)

Honored Contributor

@Topaz Gem wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@nun ya wrote:

I'm a Yinzer. Smiley Happy

So is my brother, though it always elicited a response from our Mom. She would always either give him a smack on the head or correct him or usually both. But she is gone 25 years now so he has fallen back into bad habits.His wife is froim W Va and she also says yinz , I love them both to death anyway.My mom would cringe just as much when I would say you all after spending a whole lot of our childhood in Florida. Other phrases learned in Florida from our nanny - fixin to and chillins for children. 

What does 'yinz' stand for?  I can't even guess! ;-)

Sorta a plural for you - For instance saying to a group of friends Are yinz going to the movies?

Respected Contributor

@Topaz Gem wrote:

@catwhisperer wrote:

@Topaz Gem wrote:

@catwhisperer wrote:

That's one of the indications, LOL.  Another is 'uptalk', which is when you end a sentence with your voice going up in a question mark when you're not asking a question.  Teenage girls from everywhere go through a Valspeak phase.  They eventually outgrow it. :-)

@Topaz Gem.....yikes. I talk like that and I am 65. Cat LOL

Respected Contributor

I hear ya'.  I'm a New Englander that does not have the stereotypical New England/Boston accent.  No one has ever been able to guess where I'm from.  We speak newscaster English here also.  There are pockets of different accents all over the region.  Very fascinating, IMO.