Honored Contributor

Re: Derby Winner Country House has been pulled from the Preakness..

Only 3 year olds race in the Triple Crown. That's a known fact so saying they're still a baby is a joke. You knew that when you enter your horse. Plus, had MS NOT been pulled, you better believe that horse would be in the the Preakness on the 18th. 

Like others here, I've been around horses all my life. I've ridden horses down the track that, very soon, may be the new location of the Preakness. One of my classmates' (and neighbor) family owned and trained a colt that missed being a Triple Crown winner by a nose. I've fox hunted, ridden point to points and in amateur Steeple Chases. Last, we co-own a Thoroughbred farm with my BIL and a few others;  people who don't know the business would cringe at the ****** that goes on. It's a business, truly. I've heard so much BS from these owners and trainers about their horses that I just shake my head now. Was it the right call during the KD? Absolutely. You can NOT imagine the terror that courses through your body when another horse suddenly appears in front of you or pulls up...you have no idea. It often results in injury and death so NO rider wants that but there are those that do it so they can win. Yet, I'm reading different accounts of what jockeys have said, I've read what the owners and trainers said before the KD and now are saying something different...I'm just digusted by the whole thing.

BIL summed it up last night: "Ego, money and ego. In the end, they'll still come out ok due to insurance and what percentage they own if they're not the full owner". 

He's right. 

Esteemed Contributor

I just can’t believe the whole thing. 

Honored Contributor

@seaBreeze wrote:

Illness?  Probably scratched due to the bad publicity and/or "threats" after that debacle at the Derby.

Who received "threats"?

Respected Contributor

I no longer watch any of the Triple Crown races.

Those three year old horses are not mature enough in their growth to be made to perform  like that. I find it cruel.

We've evolved to longer accepting performing elephants and big cats in zoos. Someday, I hope we evolve out of the Thoroughbred and dog racing spectacles.

Respected Contributor

First off, the horses are in danger when the track is that muddy.Jockeys too. I love to watch the Derby but not in those circumstances.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

All we can do is to keep wishing and hoping that all race horses keep safe and well.

I may be naive, but why not have each horse remain in it's own lane (?).

Same as human track run competitions.

With all of the electronic contraptions, it's probably easy to figure out which horse ran the fastest. 

Just let the horses run a certain length at high speed, then when each one reaches that moment, have the horse slow down and exit while the others continue to run their fastest. 

The horse at the widest part of the track will be able to safely exit, each remaining horse doing the same, one by one as they reach their mileage finish.

And so on and so on............

The horse nearest the left rail (shortest distance because it's running in the 'inside' lane) will be the last one to complete it's distance/mileage requirement (it's 'finish').

The horse that ran the fastest time in the required /designated mileage is the 'winner'.

Right?  

'Oh, well', I tried.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

The owner of Maximum Security says he has pulled him from the Preakness and is filing a lawsuit. Wonder if either will be running in the Belmont.

Honored Contributor

@ROMARY  It was raining during the race and the horses where running in very wet soil.  He probably caught a cold.  It's too bad he won't be able to run but his health is more important.  Beautiful horse.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

The owner of Country House did not think he should have won and will not race in the Preakness.  The horse is a gelding so no breeding oportunities.  I think it’s wise not to risk injuries.  It’s not because of illness.

Honored Contributor

@barrel racer wrote:

The owner of Country House did not think he should have won and will not race in the Preakness.  The horse is a gelding so no breeding oportunities.  I think it’s wise not to risk injuries.  It’s not because of illness.

@barrel racer   If that's the real reason, then why did the owner make up a lie when annoucing it to the press? Once again, you gotta wonder about this racing season.....