Honored Contributor

If I had any kind of dental gold removed from my mouth I would not let them have it. IT"S GOLD!! It has value.

Respected Contributor

A couple years ago I had two crowned teeth extracted prior to getting braces.  The crowns weren't gold...can't remember the name of the metal, but the oral surgeon's office gave me the old crowns and a mailer envelope to send them in for some $.  I got around $40 from the company.  Definitely tell the dentist you want your gold crown.

Honored Contributor

An all-porcelain crown is not as durable as the porcelain fused to metal crowns (PFM), which are often chosen for the molars. They can be made to match the rest of your teeth and look natural.

Honored Contributor

I have a gold one, too, and it was pretty old and had to be replaced several years ago.   I have it somewhere.  Mine is all the way in the back and on top, so you'd never see it.

I only recall asking why they were replacing a gold one with another gold one and I can't even recall the response.  D'oh!   But that's what happened.  I have a few other crowns and none of them are gold.  They are also all at or near the back.

Esteemed Contributor

@granddi wrote:

So I am having a gold crown replaced and I asked "what happens to the old gold" The dentist and staff evaded the question. Doesn't it have some value?  

It most certainly does have value @granddi, and its your property, not the dentist's. 

My own dentist ASKED ME if I wanted my dental gold, or would I prefer he give me a $credit on my bill.

I know my parent's dentist just gave them their extracted goldwork without them having to ask for it.

The fact that you asked, and they were evasive suggests he's in the habit of accumulating dental gold and selling it for personal gain.

Very shady if you ask me. 

Honored Contributor

@granddi wrote:

So I am having a gold crown replaced and I asked "what happens to the old gold" The dentist and staff evaded the question. Doesn't it have some value? 

@granddi

If they have already taken your gold crown and say "it's gone", then you have the right to insist on a discount of, for example, $150 .....  anyone here KNOW what the going rate for gold is ...  about  the size of a crown?   

Respected Contributor

Here is an excellent article that explains the variability in worth of a gold crown and what is involved in estimating its worth:

https://www.animated-teeth.com/dental_crowns/t-sell-scrap-dental-gold.htm

Respected Contributor

Re: Dental Gold Crowns

[ Edited ]

I had a tooth removed and it had a gold crown.  The dentist gave the crown to me.  They said you could get about $25 for it.....    When I sold some gold jewelry, I meant to take it with me and forgot about it..  

Respected Contributor

Yes, the gold has value.  My dentist offered me a $200 credit for the gold in a bridge that needs replacing.

I am not sure if I should keep the gold myself.

Respected Contributor

Wow, you guys are the best! It's my hubby's back tooth. Very awkward bc the dentist is a friend! guess that fact makes this situation all the worst. Funny husband said I've got to get this done before June 9th due to trip. Dentist looked at staff and said cancel someone if you have too. Bill is $1400.00