Esteemed Contributor

Considering how many thrifters are on this board, I thought this Dear Abby column would make for some interesting conversation.

How would you react if you were the gift giver?  If you were the Mom, why would you react that way?

DEAR ABBY: I bought several designer outfits for my infant niece. My sister was thrilled with the quality and brands until a friend told her that I had purchased them at a consignment shop. The clothes still have the original tags on them and were clearly never worn.

My sister returned the clothes to me and told me that because they were from a consignment shop, she did not want them and they wouldn't be used. Is something wrong with gifting an item purchased at a consignment shop? -- GIFT GIVING IN NEW YORK

DEAR GIFT GIVING: Of course not! Your sister was extremely rude to do what she did. And I have to wonder about the "friend" who felt compelled to tell her where the baby gifts had been purchased, in light of the fact that the price tags were still on the garments and they had never been worn.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor

Does anyone find it is strange that somewhat would give a gift with the price tags still on them?

Esteemed Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

Does anyone find it is strange that somewhat would give a gift with the price tags still on them?

No.  I've seen gifts with the price tags.  The gifter forgets to remove them. 

Who knows what goes between sisters and how they deal with one another.  It's a personal story. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Esteemed Contributor

Dianne, I read that to mean they were the original designer tags that were left on; not the price tags.  I always leave the designer tags on clothes that I give as gifts.

Honored Contributor

HonnyBrown wrote:

Dianne, I read that to mean they were the original designer tags that were left on; not the price tags.  I always leave the designer tags on clothes that I give as gifts.

That's also what I thought, where they mentioned the 'tags'.

Anyway, I'm with Abby (isn't she dead?).    Rude rude rude.   That this woman is too good for this merchandise, ONLY once she found out where it was purchased, is bad enough.  But then to return it to the person telling them that, basically,  is just way beyond rude.

She must have to stay out of the rain so she doesn't get a snoot full of water.  Smiley Wink

Super Contributor
Dear giftgiving, There is nothing wrong with giving a new gift from a consignment shop. Your sister would have washed the garments before they were to be worn no matter where they were bought, so to return them to you was unkind. Dump the big mouth friend who intentionally blabbed to your sister and next time keep your bargain finds a secret when you are gifting them. Glad to help. faux Abby
"I always have a chair for you in the smallest parlor in the world, to wit, my heart." --Emily Dickinson
Respected Contributor

Re: Dear Abby - For Fun

[ Edited ]

People who get easily offended by gifts would be on my "do-not-fly" list for subsequent gifts.

With any gift for an infant, it would be laundered or cleaned before wearing anyhow.  I can't think of any other objection to such a gift except that it might have been tried on. 

But if the baby-gift purpose was to extract as much money as possible out of the giver, I suppose it frustrated the gift-ee?

Abby and Ann Landers were both great; AL in particular gave incredibly sensible advice quite often.

Honored Contributor

I would have been grateful for the nice outfits! 

"Abby," whose real name was Pauline Phillips, did pass away. Her daughter Jeanne Phillips continues the column. 

Esteemed Contributor

I wonder why clothes from a consignment shop were a dealbreaker for her.  Before she knew where the clothes were from, she was thrilled; and after she finds out, she returns them?

Honored Contributor

WoW!!! that is so sad.

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."