Honored Contributor

Re: Day # 3 Still No Cigarettes

The vomiting might be nudged by the codeine - be sure you have something - toast, yogurt, milk, tea & crackers, etc in your stomach. The headache might be withdrawal. Just keep telling yourself it's all the bug, and that way you won't be thinking about withdrawal. It all could just be several things. But it will pass. I second the ginger - tea or ginger ale - great for nausea/upset tummy. Or cola syrup bought from the pharmacy.

Feel better. We're rootin' for ya!

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Valued Contributor

KEEP GOING! Don't let the cigarettes win. I've lost my brother, my mother and my father to lung cancer and they all 3 smoked. I would give anything to have them alive, but they let cigarettes rule their lives.
Esteemed Contributor

I am just so tired of feeling like this!

I am ready to feel better, now.

I swear to God, I will never, ever, have another cigarette ever again.

It is just so not worth it.

About a week ago, I begged God to help me feel better, and I made a promise to Him that I was giving up cigarettes for good, and so far, I have kept my end of the bargain.

Trusted Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 ... I hope you feel better soon.  I am on day 8 of the flu bug going around. Just today, I feel like I am starting to feel a little better. I still have a severe (phlegm) cough, but it is better then yesterday.  Hang in there ... this flu will cure your smoking habit.  I hope you start feeling better each day.   Go girl... you can do it!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I quit smoking cold turkey about 30 years ago. I was a two pack a day smoker. Very addicted. I had withdrawal symptoms....dizziness, sweats, dry mouth, my  lips would go numb. The first week was the worst of the with drawl symptoms.

After that I had to deal with the physical side of it.....all the extra time I had now that I did not take a break for a smoke.  I craved candy...red licorice....and I would eat a pound at a time....and feel sick.  I would hold a pencil just to have something to do with my hands mimicking cigarettes.  The physical addiction is the hardest part to give up. Cigarettes are like a friend.  

I gained 20 pounds that first year not smoking......but it saved my life.  I lost the weight later and felt great about quiting.  Today I never even think about them. I would NEVER EVER take it up again as I respect and love my body too much now.  Cigarettes are a horrible filthy drug that consume you.   

Esteemed Contributor

@Plaid Pants2, when you're on Day #3, know that the worst is behind you! You've come this far, it will never be any more difficult than what you have been through. I've been there and done that. I don't even know you and yet I am SO PROUD of you! You have climbed the highest mountain, you can claim your victory each and every day! Well done, enjoy your success.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because of hinting at questionable words

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2  Day#3 and no cigarette,  you go girl!!!  Be proud of your success, it's a great accomplishment.  Hang in there.

Esteemed Contributor

Being only three days out from my last cigarette, I of course get cravings.

But I have ZERO cigarettes in my apartment.

ZERO.

NONE.

I acknowledge the craving, and I know that it'll pass.

Honored Contributor

Cold turkey is a real shock to the system, but it can be done - and is probably the best way, in a sense. You have emotionally told yourself "no more!", so just cutting back, or using patches or pills is hedging on that determination (although I understand there are valid reasons that some people need to use those steps).

My sister smoked from the time she was 15 until about 7 years before she died at age 70. For most of that time, she had a cigarette going from the time she woke (but hadn't gotten up yet) until the time she turned out the lights at night. I never, ever would have believed she could quit cold turkey, but she did. Sadly, she overindulged in other things and passed away of mostly unrelated medical issues. It was as if she said to herself, okay, I'm not going to do THAT any more, but boy howdy, I'm goin' to town with THIS." And "this" killed her. Sad.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all