Honored Contributor

David Rockefeller, Last Survivng Grandchild of John D. Rockefeller, Dies

Late breaking story that the philanthropist and banker David Rockefeller died today at age 101.   Extremely powerful member of extremely powerful family.

For some reason, I've always been interested in this sprawling dynasty, with its many quirky, highly diverse members, (some quite kooky!) and their influence on American life. 

If anyone interested, I highly recommend a book that examines the family in detail--  "The Rockefellers"  by David Horowitz and Peter Collier.  Came out years ago, but still a powerful study of them, warts and all....

Honored Contributor

Re: David Rockefeller, Last Survivng Grandchild of John D. Rockefeller, Dies

It's the end of an era.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell Do you remember when Sharon's twin sister was killed by an intruder?

I remember some of this stuff like it was yesterday.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

If anyone interested, I highly recommend a book that examines the family in detail--  "The Rockefellers"  by David Horowitz and Peter Collier.  Came out years ago, but still a powerful study of them, warts and all....

@Oznell

From time to time either A&E or The History Channel (I forget which one) runs a week long mini series documentary about the Rockefellers starting from the 1st one.  2 hours each episode.  Very interesting family. 

One of the above channels should be showing it again real soon now that the oldest Rock has R.I.P.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I enjoy reading about guys like his grandfather.    Carnegie, JP Morgan, Vanderbilt

@Oznell

Honored Contributor

Annabellethecat, I read a lengthy account of the murder that left me chilled.  I always wondered if Sharon felt that "survivor's guilt" that some people are subject to if a loved one is killed in close proximity...

Honored Contributor

I wish I owned "A Piece of the Rock"-erfeller fortune.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Mz iMac, I'll look out for that documentary-- would love it!  It always fascinated me that members of the family branched out in all kinds of nutty ways....   One of the great or great-great granddaughters was the champion of some new kind of toilet, I believe.  Was it one of the Abbys?   She was very crunchy-organic, which is amusing considering the original John D.

And I think one Rockefeller was a modern artist.  And Winthrop was an eccentric who went far from the family stamping grounds in the East, to go establish himself in the wilds of Arkansas...

Honored Contributor

Yes, software, how colorful are the Vanderbilts!  The old Commodore didn't know what he was starting...

Honored Contributor

@Oznell

I just checked my dvd collection.  It's series is from The History Channel.  I burn DVDs of historical documentaries I like. Smiley Happy

Another mini series goodie from The History Channel which I burned a dvd for is called "The Men Who Built America"

You may want to check out YouTube.  They usually have the full documentaries from The History Channel & A&E if they are not on the channels website(s).

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif