Super Contributor

Re: Daughter's Facebook Brag Costs Her Family $80,000

On 2/28/2014 Cakers1 said:

I thought the confidentiality clause would have been to prevent the father from speaking publicly about the case, but not to his daughter. However, the daughter was old enough to know better in any circumstance. Since the daughter obviously knew the case was going on, I don't see a problem with dad telling her the outcome, but not the amount awarded.

Usually one will read that the case was settled for an undisclosed amount, so those who knew about the case would know it had been settled in favor of the dad.

What a lesson in keeping your mouth shut.

Some confidentiality agreements stipulate that the client cannot tell people who are not involved in the case: others prohibit anyone from knowing. Facebook is a public forum, even if her profile is set to private, and that’s where the mistake was made.

Honored Contributor

Good for the school. When are certain people going to learn???? When it hits 'em in the pocket book, right?!

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Respected Contributor

On 2/28/2014 deepwaterdotter said:

She does appear to be suffering from "psychological scars" in the picture.

Good one, deepwaterotter.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Super Contributor

What a snot!

Super Contributor

It's going to be a long summer hoofing that coffee at Starbuck's for this chickie.

Perhaps a remedial English class would help fill her vacation-less summer as well.

She can start by learning the definition of ""confidentiality agreement""

Super Contributor

Hmmmm... $80,000 to pay back her dad = selling a whole lot of coffee. Just another example of stupid people behaving badly.

Esteemed Contributor

One less tourist in Europe.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Super Contributor

On 2/28/2014 Seattlegirl98026 said: Sounds like it's time for her to ""SU**CK IT"" and pay for her own vacay to Europe.
LOL!! What a brat!
Super Contributor

On 2/28/2014 shesallthat said:
On 2/28/2014 Cakers1 said:

I thought the confidentiality clause would have been to prevent the father from speaking publicly about the case, but not to his daughter. However, the daughter was old enough to know better in any circumstance. Since the daughter obviously knew the case was going on, I don't see a problem with dad telling her the outcome, but not the amount awarded.

Usually one will read that the case was settled for an undisclosed amount, so those who knew about the case would know it had been settled in favor of the dad.

What a lesson in keeping your mouth shut.

Some confidentiality agreements stipulate that the client cannot tell people who are not involved in the case: others prohibit anyone from knowing. Facebook is a public forum, even if her profile is set to private, and that’s where the mistake was made.

shesallthat: Ok - I am assuming dad told her about the $$. I would think the daughter knew about the lawsuit, since there is no confidentiality during the proceedings. What is odd is that he wouldn't be able to say he won to her. I can see not revealing the $$ because it opens up precedent as to damages in potential future cases.

So I guess my confusion was - daughter certainly knew dad was suing; dad wins but now can't tell her he won; he certainly can't tell her the $$ amount.

That's where I was stuck on the confidentiality - you have a daughter who knows you are suing, surely it was discussed prior to the settlement, but now daughter can't know that he won. As I said, I can see $$ having a gag on it.

In any case, dad didn't seem to get it, either. Too bad.

Honored Contributor

On 2/28/2014 Topaz Gem said:

Because social media is such new territory, this generation is going to have to learn the hard way. The next generation will be more social media-savvy.

One can only hope! I'll be surprised if they are though. Society as whole is dumbing down more all the time.