Esteemed Contributor

Re: Daughter fell off of horse

Unless the home owner did something negligent--something you can prove was the reason your daughter fell, you would likely be unsuccessful filing against them anyway.

I understand your reason for asking, you already feel overwhelmed financially, that's hard. But don't let your burden override what you know is the right thing to do.

If you're really unsure you should consult a professional...perhaps your own homeowner's agent to get the best advice.

Best news is your daughter is okay. 

Trusted Contributor

@tansy

I had to take her to the hospital because Urgent Care wouldn't take x-rays because her pain was from her neck down to her spine.  They couldn't do the entire spine.

Honored Contributor

First and most importantly, I'm very glad your daughter is ok.

And I am firm about not suing people or placing claims for things that are purely accidental, or minor. 

Yes, their insurance should cover, and yes, by law, they are responsible for what is happening on their property. But just because it is legal for you to press for them to pay the bills, doesn't mean that you should do it.

You let your daughter go there, and you knew she was riding. It is risky, riding horses. There is an element of risk in almost anything, and I feel you allowed the risk to be taken. 

This is why when my son was younger, we were very selective about which of his friends came to our home and what they did when they were here. Too many people don't step up and take responsibility for the positions they put themselves  (or their kids) in and are simply looking to have someone else foot the bill. 

If it were me, I'd put strict guidelines on what my daughter could and couldn't do when visiting this home again (up to and including no more riding), and if I found my instructions were being ignored, she wouldn't be going back there (I''m assuming she is a minor).

What I wouldn't do, unless there was real neglect here, would be asking them to file on their insurance for this, or sue them for it.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Allegheny wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

If if was not the farm owner's fault that she fell off of the horse, I would never consider them liable for my child's accident.

It's also not their fault for your insurance costs and high deductible, IMO.

But that's just me.

I have to agree with @KingstonsMom.

There would be no harm in asking them, perhaps their homeowners policy would cover it.  But in the future they will probably will no longer invite anyone besides family to ride.

@Allegheny

Even if their homeowners insurance covers it, they (the policy holder) will have to pay a deductible.

Not fair if there was no negligence on their part, IMO.

As parents, we have to accept that kids will have accidents and as their parents, we're responsible for the cost of their accidents, IMO.

@KingstonsMom There is no deductible applied to medical payments.

@CelticCrafter

Hmmmm.....I didn't know that, are all Homeowner policies like that?

Admittedly, I didn't read all 999 pages of ours, LOL!

The only claim we've ever had to make on ours was when a huge limb from our neighbor's tree fell during a storm onto the side of our house and on top of DH's truck.

I was shocked to find out that WE had to claim it on our policy and pay our $1,000 deductible. Smiley Sad

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@Qshopper1991 wrote:

@tansy

I had to take her to the hospital because Urgent Care wouldn't take x-rays because her pain was from her neck down to her spine.  They couldn't do the entire spine.

That is not the property owners fault that Urgent care wouldn't take x-rays, and that you had to take her to the er.

The neck is part of the spine.

They did not do anything to cause the accident, thus they are not responsible for your medical bills.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Qshopper1991 wrote:

@tansy

@Qshopper1991

With pain in her neck and down her spine she absolutely needed to be seen in ER, good move!Heart

Urgent Care centers aren't equipped to deal with a possible spinal injury, IMO.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I'm glad she's ok, but that does happen sometimes. You haven't posted anything that indicates the fall was the fault of the owner of the property. Just because the fall happened there doesn't mean they are at fault. And everyone has to pay their deductible before insurance kicks in, that's the way it works. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Trusted Contributor

Everyone knows riding horses has a risk and if you allow your children to ride you are accepting that risk. I am a horse owner and rider but never allow anyone to ride my horses on or off my property out of fear someone might do what you are considering.  People need to make sure they ride horses matched to their ability and wear a helmet after that know stuff happens because horses are animals with a mind if their own.  Please don't hold them liable because you accepted the risk.... It would be wrong. Be grateful she's ok and consider it a learning experience.  The horse owner would be smart to have friends sign a waiver!

Respected Contributor

So glad your daughter us o.k.  Not sure how old she is but if young then maybe you or someone in the family should be in attendance when she rides. If an adult then unfortunately accidents do happen and if you are around them you know this and not your neighbor's responsibility.

Sounds like where your daughter rides are friends? and I would bet as soon as she is well she will want to be in the saddle again so if you go ahead with trying to ask for payment you can bet she will no longer be able to ride there.

I rode and bred horses for years - fell off so many times. Hurt my head, on my back, spine you name it but always wanted to ride again no-one's fault just me and the horse.  I definitely would not seek compensation for my own error and maybe lose place to ride and be around horses.  Glad she is well.

Honored Contributor

That's true, I nearly fell off my horse once when it was spooked by a large bird that flew up in front of us as we approached a water crossing. Luckily I had a decent seat was able to stay on. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval