Trusted Contributor

She's okay thank God.  

She was riding at a friends farm.  Been doing this for years.  Since my daughter fell on their property, a co-worker told me that the owner of the property/horses should pay for the hospital bill.  My health care insurance is horrible.  I have to pay 100% of everything until I meet a $4,000 deductible.  I'm already paying on a hospital bill from last year.

My co-worker thinks I should talk to her.  What do you think?

Honored Contributor

Re: Daughter fell off of horse

Yes, I would talk to her.  Glad your daughter is okay.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If it was not the farm owner's fault that she fell off of the horse, I would never consider them liable for my child's accident.

It's also not their fault for your insurance costs and high deductible, IMO.

But that's just me.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

It's not up to what we think or your co-worker thinks. It's up to who is legally responsible. A homeowners policy may cover a dog bite, not sure about your case. Good luck. 

Esteemed Contributor

Aside from allowing your daughter to ride on their property did the property owner do or not do something that increased the risk to your daughter?  Perhaps let her ride a green horse or ride a stallion when there was a mare in heat?

Would trying to pursue a case jeopardize your daughter's relationship with her friend(s)?  Sides will be taken not only by the friends with whom she was riding but also other friends.

Is your daughter willing to give up being able to ride there in the future?

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

Thank God your daughter is okay, but this is a very tough question....  the fact that your daughter has the skill and has been riding there for years tells me this was some kind of fluke rather than any kind of neglect on the owners part.  If the friends have not offered to help with the hospital bills it wouldn't hurt to discuss it with them however the first thing they may think is that you are getting ready to sue if you have to....

Also, IMHO any mention of money in all this may ruin the friendship..... Woman Sad

I'm so sorry.... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

I think litigious folks may try and getting out of paying. Since nothing the owner of the property contributed to her falling off the horse, personally I would not hold her responsible.

Trusted Contributor

@Qshopper1991. Thank God she is OK.  My granddaughter rides, she started when she was 4 1/2, it was scarry to watch at first. She is six now. Always with a helmet. Hard to not hover over our little ones isn't it.

I feel off a horse a few times in the past, hit my head pretty good once, I was out for a minute, got back on, fearless in those days.

Esteemed Contributor

Accidents happen, that's why they are called accidents.

And just because it was an accident, does not mean that someone is automatically at fault.

I would not pursue compensation, unless there was a clear-cut case of negligence, such as she was on a horse that was captured from the wild last week.

Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

If if was not the farm owner's fault that she fell off of the horse, I would never consider them liable for my child's accident.

It's also not their fault for your insurance costs and high deductible, IMO.

But that's just me.

I have to agree with @KingstonsMom.

There would be no harm in asking them, perhaps their homeowners policy would cover it.  But in the future they will probably will no longer invite anyone besides family to ride.