Trusted Contributor

Hi Everyone!  I was hoping to get some opinions.  We have an Oreck vacuum that is about eight years old.  It seems that in the past year something goes wrong with it every couple of months.  The last time I brought it in the guy in the store was very rude and demeaning.  He told me I didn't know how to use it and obviously did something to make the belt break.  Ummm, I'm 44 years old ~ I think I know how to use a vacuum!  Anyway, just the ther day it started spitting dirt out of the back of it.  I decided it's time to just get a new one so here's my question.  What do you prefer and why?  I am looking at a Bissell Pet Eraser Upright or the Dyson Ball Upright.  They are both the same amount of money.  I should mention we have three large dogs that haven't learned the fine art of wiping their paws at the door, lol!  I vacuum everyday, sometimes more than once a day so I need something strong and durable.  Any opinions/advice would be great.  Thanks! 

Honored Contributor

Dyson absolutely and without a doubt. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

In 2004 before my husband died he brought home a Dyson (purple) because he was going to have to start vacuuming because of my back.

Since then I bought a new Dyson for me, one for my daughter, another one for my daughter then I bought myself and 3 daughters the Dyson stick.  I think that's all of them...Ha!

I love Dyson.  I have several of their fans and heaters.  They back up their products.

Honored Contributor

I agree with the others - Dyson by a mile.

In addition to quality products, their customer service is second to none.  

You can spend less on others, and especially one brand that seems to be popular among those who want to pay less, but just remember that that company does not make products to last.  Dyson does.  You get your money's worth.

Super Contributor

Lol, I realize this was not one of the choices, but I love the Miele! Several friends have gone out to purchase one after borrowing mine. 

Respected Contributor

Re: DYSON OR BISSELL???

[ Edited ]

I've had a Kirby, Orerek, Bissel, Hoover and a Dyson. I really like the Dyson. I've had it since September 2013. If it breaks, fine. I'll buy another one on sale from Costco. I got my money's worth already. I'll be 61 in a couple of weeks. And I want that darn Dyson hair dryer but my husband thinks I am crazy if I buy it.  Hopefully, someone will end up discounting it in a couple of years. Please Costco, oh Costco...please work your magic!

BTW, that expensive Kirby was always at the Vacumn/Sewing Machine Repair Shop. It was so heavy as well as it was an industrial vacumn...that I couldn't see lasting. The Orerek (bowling ball comercial) was terrible. Worse than a Bissell or Hoover.

I've also had 2 Bissell Vacumn Cleaners and they were terrible. That's when I went to the Rug doctor (blue one that Costco sold). I have had that for a while and it definitely has already paid for it itself.  I also count it as a heavy exercise workout.  When I recently had my house appraised for a refinance, the appraiser wrote down, new carpets (because after you clean them, they feel so plush and brand new)!  LOL!

Honored Contributor

Dyson makes a comb/brush type attachment for brushing out the dog, to get out the extra hair so you don't have shedding all over your house.

I wanted that so bad, but I know there is no way that Ru will let me get near him with the vacuum monster.  Smiley Sad   Too bad, as it seems like it would be great to have.

Trusted Contributor
Love my Dyson animal and cordless!
Honored Contributor

Dyson and Bissell are Ok

Bissell is much cheaper than Dyson. I found Bissell break really quick, the Bissell 's I owned never lasted over a year, before I was duct taping them together.

Dyson does good.  If you are going to spend that much on a Dyson vacuum. Go to Miele vacuums.  They are better in pick up power. The hose suction is excellent on the Miele.  The Dyson I owned was more pricey than my Miele.  

My Miele is bagged. Love my Miele, it cleans my carpeting deep down. 

Honored Contributor

Neither. Had both. I've had many vacuum cleaners from cheap to $$$$ (yes, there are brands far more expensive than Dyson). What do I have now? Shark Professional; two of them. It has everything I want at my fingertips, cleans everything I want to clean and so easy to use that my 6 year old was able to do the stairs with ease (that's how old he was when I bought the Shark Pro).

Love it, absolutely love it.