Esteemed Contributor

Re: ** DOES ANYONE KNOW SHORTHAND? **

[ Edited ]

image.jpeg

RedTop wrote:

I excelled at shorthand in high school and used shorthand in every job I had after graduation.   

Back to work at the bank makes sense, if the person who wrote it was known to stray from their teachings and write in versions they could remember.   I have done that as well when taking dictation.

However, using the strokes I was taught, this phrase says "back, to do, of course, at the, bank", which makes no sense.   Based on the inconsistency of the strokes in the first and last words, I do feel the writer had their own version of writing that was easy for them to remember.   

@RedTop et al, I taught Gregg Shorthand.  I agree with Red Top's translation.  The third symbol is for the word 'of course'.  I wonder if she meant she was back to do a course at the bank?  

Whatever, fun to see it again.  I still use it all the time.  LM

The photo above is what 'back to work at the bank' would look like to me in Gregg Shorthand.  LM

Honored Contributor

Shorthand?  Wow, that's a blast from the past.  I'm 56 and I heard about it, I never actually saw it.  I remember in hs, the girls in the business class had to take it.  But in all my years of working, I never heard anyone mention it or say "take a letter"...lol   Like in those old time movies.

Honored Contributor

"Back to work with the bank."

I took Gregg shorthand my junior and senior years of high school and excelled at it.  I used shorthand almost daily in my first several clerical jobs as clerk-stenographer with a state agency.

Even after promotions I continued to use shorthand on occasion when attending executive staff meetings.  I  am now retired but shorthand still comes in handy if I want to take notes for myself at  a variety of community meetings. 

P.S.:  I've even been known to make Christmas lists for DH using shorthand.  DH cannot read the list.  Smiley HappySmiley HappySmiley Happy

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Esteemed Contributor

@mercyMe wrote:

In a way, the words that you thought the note conveyed could be contrued as such.

Your mom returned to work to give you and your sister "those extra things" that you needed as a teenager and beyond ....to me, that is "love."        

@tends2dogs

Oh, @mercyMe, what a beautiful thought.  My mother was the epitomy of love. Smiley Happy

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

image.jpeg

@RedTop wrote:

I excelled at shorthand in high school and used shorthand in every job I had after graduation.   

Back to work at the bank makes sense, if the person who wrote it was known to stray from their teachings and write in versions they could remember.   I have done that as well when taking dictation.

However, using the strokes I was taught, this phrase says "back, to do, of course, at the, bank", which makes no sense.   Based on the inconsistency of the strokes in the first and last words, I do feel the writer had their own version of writing that was easy for them to remember.   

@RedTop et al, I taught Gregg Shorthand.  I agree with Red Top's translation.  The third symbol is for the word 'of course'.  I wonder if she meant she was back to do a course at the bank?  

The photo above is what 'back to work at the bank' would look like to me in Gregg Shorthand.  LM

I agree with Lilysmom that the way she has written it in the above post is how "back to work at the bank" would look.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I know shorthand and agree it says "back to work at the bank".  That was kinda fun seeing that after all these years.  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

image.jpeg

@RedTop wrote:

************************************************************************************************

Sorry, but the 3rd symbol here looks like "you can".  The word "work" is correctly done in the first note.  I would also write "at the" without the "a".  Just the upward line and the word "the"......

Super Contributor

that would be my guess.. . . too .   Did pages and pages of practice on the Gregg Shorthand.   Long time ago :-)

Esteemed Contributor

ooRe: ** DOES ANYONE KNOW SHORTHAND? **

[ Edited ]

I worked as a stenographer for most of my career and I know Pitman - studied it in Brooklyn, NY. If this is Pitman, the 2nd word looks like "rather than"; 3rd word looks like "name"; 4th word looks like "highly". The 1st and 5th words look similar - but not exactly the same. 

Do u know who wrote it and where they grew up? People on the east coast learned Pitman (English version) and most of the rest of the US were taught Gregg.

Gregg shorthand doesn't have dark and light strokes (all the same) and is usually written with a pen.

Pitman has dark and light strokes, has dots and dashes and other symbols to show how to pronounce the words and is usually writeen on a lined-pad. When someone knows shorthand well --- they can make up their own short-cuts which makes it more difficult to read.

It could be Gregg.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: ooRe: ** DOES ANYONE KNOW SHORTHAND? **

@kivah, you are right!  It is the symbol for 'work'.  My mistake.  If you look it up, there is an entire dictionary online of Gregg Shorthand symbols.  Who knew!  LM