Esteemed Contributor

Re: DO YOU RECYCLE ?

[ Edited ]

Yes our family does. My mom was ahead of the curve on this and I can remember her doing it in the 70s. I also compost and use that on my roses, they are ginormous because of it.

We have a trash can that has 3 parts to it and we do it right there so it is really easy. I also have over 20 magazine subscriptions and while I may keep a few (like InStyle or a few decorating ones) the majority of them find second homes in my drs offices, relatives or women's shelters. 

It is only my husband and I living here but even though we NEVER buy bottled water and rarely buy pop cans or bottles, there are tons of things that can be recycled. I also don't understand how having just two people in the house would stop that. The amount of recyclables that just one person goes through in a year would amaze you if you saw it all in one big heap. 

I also do keep some sturdier take away containers like the soup containers you get when ordering Chinese take away, etc...

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@blahblahvampemerblah wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

I can't understand how anyone can not recycle, or have no interest in recycling.

Smiley

Look up the Washington Post's article on recycling.  Many items have to get sorted out for transport to the landfill, and I certainly won't use water to recycle certain things.  

Just because you put it in a can or bin doesn't mean it can actually be used.  A lot also depends on your area.  

You might want to do your own research for future suggestions to your community, @Blahblahvampemer.

SF leads the way, here's how it is moving forward and encourages others to do the same:

Leading San Francisco's Quest
To Recycle All Trash by 2020

http://e360.yale.edu/feature/interview_jack_macy_putting_san_francisco_on_the_road_to_zero_waste/276...

Trusted Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

It depends.  Mayo and other foods require too much water to recycle, and anything with food in it goes to the landfill.  

I don't recycle glass as it contaminates the paper, and then it all goes to the landfill.

I'm recycling less plastic as it's not environmentally friendly to do so when gas prices are down.

Everyone should do research as to what can actually be recycled in their area before wasting sorting and transportation time/costs when it really has to go to the dump.

Sounds like a lot of excuses to do nothing.

You could become active for what surely could be a better response from your apparently lackadaisical community.

I would suggest doing some current research on the topic.  I have.  Just because something is marked as recyclable doesn't mean that it's really economically or even environmentally friendly to do so.  Also, I'm not going to waste water cleaning every little thing. FOGs (fats, oils, greases) are horrible whether you are septic or sewer, and I've been told by more than one expert in the plumbing field that all that washing makes everyone's bills go up across the board.

Research is a good thing.  One article to start with was in the Washington Post.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Honored Contributor

@Blahblahvampemer

I've done the research, and I've done it for you, also.

Read the article I provided for you as a start, because you seem to know nothing about what IS being done.

Honored Contributor

@Blahblahvampemer

Your community might want to start with banning plastic bags from stores and take-out places.  Those bags are killing our wildlife.

I have chosen NOT to post pictures available online of those bags hurting our sea creatures, but here is just one of the many photos of so many, many plastic bags which have ended up in our ocean.

Trusted Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Blahblahvampemer

Read the article I provided for you as a start, because you seem to know nothing about what IS being done.

Feelgood articles about recycling are worthless when reality kicks in.  I did over three weeks of research on recycling, called in the experts, and then I decided on what to bother recycling. Paper and metal yes, some plastics yes, and dirty metals and plastics that will hurt my system are trashed.  

As as for the plastic bags you mentioned, I use those all the time.  I'm not worried about mine ending up in any water.  I'm more concerned about reusable bags that have to be constantly washed in....here it comes...water.  Preferably hot water.

I notuced that you didn't address my points.  

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Honored Contributor

"Use it up, wear it out, make it do, do without."

I would guess a lot of us grew up hearing this.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Noel7 wrote:

@Blahblahvampemer

Feelgood articles about recycling are worthless when reality kicks in.  I did over three weeks of research on recycling, called in the experts, and then I decided on what to bother recycling. Paper and metal yes, some plastics yes, and dirty metals and plastics that will hurt my system are trashed.  

As as for the plastic bags you mentioned, I use those all the time.  I'm not worried about mine ending up in any water.  I'm more concerned about reusable bags that have to be constantly washed in....here it comes...water.  Preferably hot water.

I notuced that you didn't address my points.  

Your points are wrong, @Blahblahvampemer. For example, we don't have to wash out any food containers, we can just wipe it out with a used paper towel and the rest is done for us at the recycle center.

You might want to look into your plastic bags hurting the wildlife in your area, and yes, there are photos.

Oh, and you might want to look up waste water used for commercial use.  Not safe to drink, but it is safe to wash cans, etc.

I am very surprised you know nothing about the advances made in the last decade.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Where I live we have it but it is not enforced.

I am going to be moving to a town where recyling is strictly enforced and I am panicking.

I really don't know how to do it properly!

Paper- does that mean just news papers and magazines?

What if I have an old notebook for garbage does that go with the newspapers?

Plastic- What if I have an old Barbie that needs to go does she go in the plastic pile?

Glass- All glass or just glass jars?

The person I will be living with is so clueless and really isn't doing it right either.

I know it sounds crazy but I am worried!

I am happy the new town is clean but I am literally scared to take out the garbage! Smiley Sad

Help!

Honored Contributor

@Pqfan wrote:

Where I live we have it but it is not enforced.

I am going to be moving to a town where recyling is strictly enforced and I am panicking.

I really don't know how to do it properly!

Paper- does that mean just news papers and magazines?

What if I have an old notebook for garbage does that go with the newspapers?

Plastic- What if I have an old Barbie that needs to go does she go in the plastic pile?

Glass- All glass or just glass jars?

The person I will be living with is so clueless and really isn't doing it right either.

I know it sounds crazy but I am worried!

I am happy the new town is clean but I am litterally scared to take out the garbage! Smiley Sad

@Pqfan

our county has all of the rules/regulations on the local government website.

yours may have the same information.

it explains what they take and what they dont take.....and a lot more helpful information.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein