Frequent Contributor

We recycle and composte.  Because our "garbage" can is the smallest available, our utility costs are lower.  Garbage and composte are picked up once a week.   Recycle is picked up every two weeks.  It is amazing how much "recycle" - paper, plastics, metal and glass can accumulate. We feel it is a positive service that the city provides.   

Contributor

Yes we do and have done so for MANY years.  When I lived in NJ we had to separate different colors of glass and of course sort the paper from the glass.  When I moved to Arizona, we were able to put everything in one container provided by our city and it's the same now where I live in Colorado.  I do keep some nice plastic containers such as those I receive my takeout in from a restaurant called Noodles.  I use it to take salads to work.  I also compost.  I have a compost bin I purchased from our county and it's made from recylced materials.  All my kitchen scraps except for meat and dairy products go into the compost bin.  Once decomposed I add that to my vegetable garden.  My husband and I have only garbage bag a week in our can and most times it's not even full!  

Trusted Contributor

It's mandatory where I live.

We separate the paper from the recyclable plastic and other recyclables that we put in a plastic bag that goes into a special dumpster on the property.

The trash goes into the trash.

The paper gets recycled, too.

The management has a private company pick up both the trash and the recycling. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: DO YOU RECYCLE ?

[ Edited ]

I rinse and (and sometimes wash) my recycle items.  There is no smell in the house.

Once you get into a groove - it is hard NOT to recycle.  It can be a pain in the beginning but after all these years for us it is second nature.

Respected Contributor

We recycle everything. We have curbside recycling the can is as big as the garbage......thumbs up!

Respected Contributor

@sktchy wrote:

I rinse and (and sometimes wash) my recycle items.  There is no smell in the house.

Once you get into a groove - it is hard NOT to recycle.  It can be a pain in the beginning but after all these years for us it is second nature.

Yes I agree !  Even when I'm out for the day, I will bring my empty

water bottles or any other food containers back home to recycle. Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

Re: DO YOU RECYCLE ?

[ Edited ]

@MorningLover wrote:

@sktchy wrote:

Yes I agree !  Even when I'm out for the day, I will bring my empty

water bottles or any other food containers back home to recycle. Woman Wink

haha so do we! I thought we were the only ones, lol! I just can't, with good conscience, throw them away in a regular trash when I know they can be recylced!

Valued Contributor

My 85-year-old mom puts her recyclables into a large Rubbermaid container. Then when she's headed our way she puts the things into a tote or two and brings them to recycling dumpster at my house. (Her condos don't recycyle...YIKES!) She lives alone, doesn't generate much trash OR recycling, but every little bit helps. Junk mail, newspapers, detergent bottles, grocery receipts...how can people say they don't have enough to bother with?  I don't get that. It's SOOOO easy, and helps Mother Earth! What a win-win situation!!

Honored Contributor

@sallybusky wrote:

My 85-year-old mom puts her recyclables into a large Rubbermaid container. Then when she's headed our way she puts the things into a tote or two and brings them to recycling dumpster at my house. (Her condos don't recycyle...YIKES!) She lives alone, doesn't generate much trash OR recycling, but every little bit helps. Junk mail, newspapers, detergent bottles, grocery receipts...how can people say they don't have enough to bother with?  I don't get that. It's SOOOO easy, and helps Mother Earth! What a win-win situation!!

@sallybusky

Thank you for your post above!  I totally agree, every litter bit helps.

Honored Contributor

@sallybusky wrote:

Can you imagine if even 1000 people said that? And then scale that up to even more. That so-called little amount adds up quickly when combined with everyone else's little amount. That insular thinking is definitely not taking into consideration the bigger picture.

Everyone does laundry so you have laundry detergent boxes or bottles; paper of any kind from receipts, newspapers, junk mail, envelopes from regular mail/bills, etc; toilet paper rolls (everyone uses toilet paper!!); canned goods; glass bottles; cooking oil bottles; house cleaning supply and dishwashing bottles (everyone cleans their house and dishes, right? hopefully?); hand soap paper or bottles (everyone washes their hands, right???); skincare bottles and jars; sunscreen tubes; I could go on and on. Even the most minimalist person still produces a fairly substantial amount of recyleable material.