Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I recycle.  We have curbside pick-up.  We also have random trash checks.  If recycle items are mixed in with regular trash, we get fined.  It's never happened to me or, for that matter, anyone that I know.  

Honored Contributor

It's just my husband & I and we are lucky to have a half a bag of trash, per week, because we recycle everything that's recyclable.  Very fortunate that we have a WasteManagement dumpster a few minutes from us and every couple of weeks we take everything.  I mean you can recycle batteries/lightbulbs at Lowe's, plastic bags too and Publix takes plastic bags and styrofoam.

It's all Good!!!! 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Respected Contributor

Re: DO YOU RECYCLE ?

[ Edited ]

Sooner,  My 2 cats consume food out of cans that have recycling value, so that is most of what I recycle.  I hear what you're saying, as bulk vegetables and meats don't produce much waste for the bins. 

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Not really.  Just the 2 of us and we have so little to recycle I don't do it.  We do take cardboard to be recycled, but otherwise, we just don't have anything much.  We do 90 percent of veggies from fresh, meat that is wrapped in paper, milk cartons that are paper, and that's about it.

I don't understand why there being only 2 of you has anything to do with you not recycling much? Or do I misunderstand this? I only have two in my household, as do my parents and we all recycle.

DITTO.

Honored Contributor

Yes

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

SF also has a program we love!

You can use your smart phone to take a photo of garbage or large items someone has left on your street, along with the address.  ALL DONE WITH ONE TEXT.  You can also call in and they will come.

Usually within the hour, a truck will come by to pick it up.  We've done that twice.  Someone left a twin mattress on the sidewalk and DD sent the info in in just a matter of seconds and the truck was there not long after.

Honored Contributor

I sure do.  My local recycling center is not far from me so I do personal drop off.

On a fluke I started with paper and cardboard.  I did that consistently for about a year then expanded to plastic.  I did all three consistently for a year and have expanded to include glass this year. 

I hardly have any garbage that goes to the curb now.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

we have special pickup for recyclables.  this includes, cans, bottles, cardboard, and maybe more that i can't think of.  i do know we aways have a full can when they come every other week.

Honored Contributor

Re: DO YOU RECYCLE ?

[ Edited ]

There are only 2 of us in my house and we still recycle.  We have weekly curbside recycling.  They come the same day as our trash is picked up.  There are some weeks when my blue bag isn't full so it doesn't go out.  It stays in the garage until it's full.

Our plastic grocery bags I take back to the store weekly as they recycle them.  Any magazines and stuff like that I collect and then drop off in the bin located in the parking lot next to our post office.

You'd be surprised at what you can recycle.  Any cardboard that things come in, boxes, the inside cardboard from toilet paper rolls and papertowel rolls, the cardboard from soap, bottles, most plastics.  I'm sometimes shocked at how quickly just the 2 of us can fill a large size blue bag.

I think it is extremely irresponsible for people not to recycle.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

There are only 2 of us in my house and we still recycle.  We have weekly curbside recycling.  They come the same day as our trash is picked up.  There are some weeks when my blue bag isn't full so it doesn't go out.  It stays in the garage until it's full.

Our plastic grocery bags I take back to the store weekly as they recycle them.  Any magazines and stuff like that I collect and then drop off in the bin located in the parking lot next to our post office.

You'd be surprised at what you can recycle.  Any cardboard that things come in, boxes, the inside cardboard from toilet paper rolls and papertowel rolls, the cardboard from soap, bottles, most plastics.  I'm sometimes shocked at how quickly just the 2 of us can fill a large size blue bag.

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I heard in some places they are going to start charging a fee to those that don't recycle because they then have to pay people to sort through their garbage and pull out the recyling. However, I am not sure that will make someone start recycling, unless the fee is a hefty one.