Respected Contributor

Absolutely! If you live in Cal you had best do it!! We now have separate containers for recyclables, garbage/trash and also yard waste - sure helps. We also pay an arm and a leg extra every time we buy a lot of canned and plastic container items. If we turn it in at a recycling plant, we get that money back. For the recyclable things, like canned food, milk containers, etc that go curbside, we are suppose to clean them before putting them in the containers - makes sense to me. Yes, takes a lot more time than the old days but by doing what we are suppose to do, we are helping the planet we live on. Wish everyone would take the time to do this - cannot image anyone complaining about it.

Honored Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

I want to LOL. I really do not understand why people do not recycle. It saves our planet, and tax $.  I live in a community with an HOA. We do not have curb side pickup for trash. We have to take it to a recycle center onsite.

There is nothing funny about it. 

Nothing funny about the amount of trash we generate and what it is doing to resources and the environment to manufacture it in the first place, and then again what is lost in the recycling process, or dumped in landfills.

There is nothing to not understand in my previous post about people who have no access or no easy access or ability to get things to recycling. And there are many more of those people around than many here want to understand. Definitely nothing funny about that. 

As one or two people here have pointed out, it is better to try to choose a lifestyle that doesn't even buy things packaged in such a way as to have waste to recycle, whenever possible.

I guess I really don't understand, people who don't understand that their reality, isn't everyone's.

Honored Contributor

I'm reading a lot of excuses for not recycling here.  

(And I'm not talking about people who are ill or unable.)

Esteemed Contributor

In NJ recycling is a law. It first started out as everything having to be sorted - clear glass, colored glass, paper, cardboard, etc. Then they went to comingled. Where I live now SC, I live in an HOA and pay for recycling - I don't mind because it's the RIGHT thing to do! I also recycle the plastic bags at the grocery store. If you have old paint cans with paint in them, get some kitty litter and add to the can - it dries up the paint which the recycling center will then dispose of!

Respected Contributor

I forgot to add something that perhaps I should have.  While we have curbside pickup for recyclables, that still means we also must fill our car trunk with certain items and take to a recycling facility. I think it has also been mentioned we cannot put TVs, computers,  light bulbs, batteries, etc curbside - we MUST take them elsewhere - yep, WE drive them there in OUR car. I did mention we take some of our cans, bottles, some metals, etc to a recycling plant to get $ back - which we paid extra when we bought them.

Quite frankly can't imagine one single reason for not recycling - no curbside pick up is NOT a valid reason. Drive the stuff to a facility that handles these things - like I said, even with curbside pickup we still have to do a lot of this also. My goodness - and yes, we have "dumps" here also and guess what, you cannot take garbage, recyclables, all in one container. NONE will accept that so you still have to sort everything if you want to use a landfill. Reality check time.

Honored Contributor

You don't have to buy all of that stuff that needs recycled to begin with.  If you really want to make a difference don't bring it home to begin with.

Respected Contributor

Re: DO YOU RECYCLE ?

[ Edited ]

Yes! And our area makes it easier because we have cans designated for trash and recycle that do not require separating the different recyclables. You can order 3 different size cans and multiples if needed for larger properties or families. Christmas trees and fall debris are collected separately, mulched, and used in public parks. Large heavy paper leaf bags are provided. The only things that cannot be sent through this program are Styrofoam and glass. The city also offers free shreading of personal papers at designated times and places as well as collection of hazardous household chemicals and paint. I use all these services.

I also use reusable bags for shopping and reuse plastic containers and other packaging whenever possible.I save cottage cheese cartons and similar food containers to send leftovers with family. Little things like that are cheaper and better for the environment than the throwaway containers for sale for the same purpose.

The best thing I feel I do is to conserve on all utilities. I always have. Lights are never turned on unless needed and when done turned off. I take efficient showers, make sure the dishwasher is full before running, monitor my outside watering, and keep my heating and cooling settings reasonable. I wear a warmer top or add a cardigan in winter and do not overcool the house in summer. I know many of you do the same. My depression era parents knew the value of water, heat, and light and how to conserve yet enjoy the convenience. Great lessons.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

You don't have to buy all of that stuff that needs recycled to begin with.  If you really want to make a difference don't bring it home to begin with.

Ridiculous statement for the most part.  Things come in jars and containers; it's unavoidable.

Not recycling is irresponsible. You're making excuses. 

Respected Contributor

I do recycle now.   In the past I'd have to haul it to the dump and separate everything all out.  Now we have a smaller toter with a lid and you throw everything in together.  Its called single stream recycling and they only ask you to wash out cans, bottles and containers first and to flatten all cardboard.   In the past I'd have to haul to the dump and walk along the dumpsters to separate out all recyclables.

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I'm thinking some some recycling should be done on some attitudes around here.  Good grief!  Pretty mean spirited comments for those who don't do just as you do aren't there?  Really  Is there a reason to go there?  

Self righteousness is alive and well here for sure.  There's good and bad about recycling.  Sometimes it takes more energy to recycle something than not.

There is no kind of recycling anywhere close to here.  If there was I'd pick and choose what I'd do.  I bring my own bags to the grocery store is about the only thing available to do here.   

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*