Honored Contributor

@ECBG  I'm not sure it's a law here perse but our former mayor made recycling mandatory where I live - he started this 2-3 years ago now.  So yes we do recycle.  We never did prior to but now that we do, it baffles me why we never did before. 

We did and still do have public recycling going on and have been for a number of years that folks take to (the bins) themselves but we never did.  With this new program every household has a recycling bin and it's picked up every 2 weeks, and in fact on the same day the same company picks up yard waste.  People can no longer put yard waste in the huge trash containers we all use, or of course you can take it to the dump.

I LOVE to recycle, it's so EASY, however I will say that there are certain items that we're told we can't recycle which actually makes me crazy. 

Frequent Contributor

We have weekly curbside recycling pick-up so it makes it very easy for us.  Sometimes I get a little lazy but for the most part, I try to do my share.

Honored Contributor

Yes, the city Where I live we have separate recycle, garbage and yard  waste containers. . I  recycle Everything I can. We have much less actual garbage thanks to recycling.  Can not imagine not recycling! It is something I do without consious thinking.

Trusted Contributor

Re: DO YOU RECYCLE ?

[ Edited ]

@MorningLover wrote:

My DD came home the other day with some takeout food for

herself. I was noticing the nice plastic containers with lids. It

has me wondering how many people recycle or reuse these

containers. How about All plastic containers, water bottles,

detergent containers, etc......Do you recycle ?

It saddens me to think that many people just throw them in

the trash daily !

We don't have curbside recycling but our community has two

recycling sites. They accept glass, plastic, cans, paper and

cardboard. I take advantage of this and try to do my part and

recycle everything I can. 

I wish more people would do this. Please stop and think what

you are throwing away!  Can you recycle it ? We all need to pitch

in and stop polluting our environment.  Woman Happy

Yes, I definitely recycle: paper, clear glass & any plastic or styrofoam items that have a triangle with the numbers 1-7 indicated in them. We have trash pickup twice a week (Tuesday & Friday) & curbside recycling every Friday. My recycling can (smaller version of the trash can) is full every week, while I put the actual trash out maybe every 2 weeks on Friday.

Honored Contributor

Not really.  Just the 2 of us and we have so little to recycle I don't do it.  We do take cardboard to be recycled, but otherwise, we just don't have anything much.  We do 90 percent of veggies from fresh, meat that is wrapped in paper, milk cartons that are paper, and that's about it.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Not really.  Just the 2 of us and we have so little to recycle I don't do it.  We do take cardboard to be recycled, but otherwise, we just don't have anything much.  We do 90 percent of veggies from fresh, meat that is wrapped in paper, milk cartons that are paper, and that's about it.

I don't understand why there being only 2 of you has anything to do with you not recycling much? Or do I misunderstand this? I only have two in my household, as do my parents and we all recycle.

Respected Contributor

Yes, I recycle.

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I don't understand why there being only 2 of you has anything to do with you not recycling much? Or do I misunderstand this? I only have two in my household, as do my parents and we all recycle.

We just don't have much to recycle.  Maybe a few pickle jars a year, but we don't have beverages in plastic or glass, don't do soft drinks, hardly ever use canned goods, etc.  Lots of people have garbage like that but we typically don't. 

Honored Contributor

San Francisco is proud to be number one on the list of cities that recycle.  SF has led the way,

Take out food comes in containers that can be recycled, no styrofoam.

We recycle garden material, branches, dead flowers, etc. in one bin along with leftover food. 

Paper products in a second bin and garbage in a third. 

We can have large items hauled away for free three times a year.

Honored Contributor

Plastic containers can be recycled if they have the symbol on the bottom of the container.