Super Contributor

I'm so sorry that happened to your sister, Circles.  I do have Lifelock and it has been good for me - I like the way it alerts me when I have applied for credit.  Hopefully it will do the same if a scammer ever tries.  Downside is the cost, so I try and skip pizza night once a month (about the same cost) in exchange for the little bit of peace of mind.

Your sister can get a free copy of her credit report and can also put a temporary fraud alert (90 days) while she decides what to do.  There's a lot of good info at www.ftc.gov about this topic.

Honored Contributor

I had the lowest level of service for awhile but when my credit card was compromised twice in a year and they never noticed,  I dropped them. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I think they are useless.  I,m afraid to cancel though.  Opened three new accounts last year.  In the beginning they use to notify me, not last year.  When i asked why, they gave some excuse, not on their file , the companies.   I think because I have the lower cost, didn,t get the more expensive pkg.  They also use to notify me every month, my record ok, not that anymore either.  Going to call next week and not renew.

Esteemed Contributor

YOu can contact all three of the credit. Ureaus yourself and put a freeze on your credit files.  THe cost is minimal and you set up id's and passwords so if you want to unlock a file so a credit report can be obtained then you can temporarily lift the freeze.  WHy would you pay a outside company to do what you can easily do own your own???

Honored Contributor

I think  it's highly overrated.  My bank and credit card companies do an excellent job in handling such issues.  I often get calls from them asking if I purchased at places that were not the norm for me and they then stop payment if I didn't.  They also cover any charges made if my cards were compromised and provide a new card immediately. 

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you once again...to those that replied after my last post...

According to my sister, who lives in Michigan, she happen to catch an infomercial about Life Lock that lasted an hour...they said that these evil people don't use your accounts you have established to do their dirty deeds....they open new accounts with this YES statement you have provided...and you are only aware of it when you start receiving bills for things you have no idea about...

She said the big one is they use it a lot for medical reasons...have things done...(not sure what) then you are billed...thats where the trouble begins....arguing with people you have never used...

I will e-mail her with your lasted post...she going to be so happy with the different views on this company...

Not sure if i have mentioned this...but her husband is against it..he don't want her giving out thier info to people who are strangers...(L.L) she is unsure what to do...Thank you again...

Honored Contributor

My credit union will notify me if there is a big change in my credit score due to opening of new accounts or many new inquiries and will also help with any issues of that nature.

Respected Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

Nope.

I put a credt freeze across all 3 of my reports. Costs $10 in my state to lift the freeze when I want to apply for credit.

The guy that founded lifelock offered a bounty to anyone that could hack his info. Someone did just that.

@Snowpuppy, was it easy to put the initial freeze on your credit reports?  Did you have to call each credit reporting agency separately?  TIA

Respected Contributor

No. I looked in to it but didn't think it was worth the money. Now I have the same protection available as part of the annual fee on one of my credit cards. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Super Contributor

Re: DO YOU HAVE LIFE LOCK

[ Edited ]

after the main guy got his info stolen they didn't advertise for awhile. They sponsor NASCAR races afain. 

I also freeze my credit reports. One call and they talk to all 3. Or do it online in less than 2 minutes.  Trans union, experion and ?  Forgot the 3rd. I do it online w experion. 

it definitely works! I opened a 3rd bank account last week w the same bank and STILL had to talk to their fraud dept and answer?s only I would know.  

Why would I pay for yet another place to have all my info????? Are the call centers in the US? I hate when other countries have my info, especially all my credit & ssn info.