Respected Contributor

Did anyone here do any of these DNA kits to find out your ancestry? 

Were your results what you expected?

We were looking into doing this and we talking about it last night out with friends.

Something odd and interesting was noted our friend did one of these kits (one from the commericals) and wanted to surprise his brother with the results and found his brother also had one done.

Issue --the results were VERY different!!!

Scam?

They are both going to have another test done by another company to see what happens.

My husband and I are going to save our money for now.

Honored Contributor

I've been doing research on this and have all but given up.   From what I've read, the many various kits either give inaccurate or incomplete information.  I have needed to do this to prove something and I just don't feel I can invest in these things because others have not had proper results.

Contributor

There were a couple of threads here recently, you might want to look them up. For me, I am not interested, as I have family history, and anyway, you are who you are, not who your relatives were. If you were adopted with no history in your records, I guess maybe you'd want to give it a try but it sounds like maybe it is not so accurate after all.

Honored Contributor

I think it is very gimmicky at this time, and totally unregulated. I choose to not to.

Honored Contributor

There have been numerous threads with lots of posts. I agree to read them and this may help you.

Mine was done and it was quite quite accurate with a couple of surprises thrown in. I would like to redo it for medical reasons because now certain illnesses can be shown. I don't think it's a scam but in some cases family secrets could be revealed. 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

There have been numerous threads with lots of posts. I agree to read them and this may help you.

Mine was done and it was quite quite accurate with a couple of surprises thrown in. I would like to redo it for medical reasons because now certain illnesses can be shown. I don't think it's a scam but in some cases family secrets could be revealed. 

@JaneMarple

I so agree with this.

Like finding out that out of 4 siblings, 1 (me) has a different father, a deep, dark secret that only my mother and the other man knew.

Be careful what you wish for...........

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

I just got my results..they were very interesting...a few surprises....

I'm now gonna send the raw data into promethease.com ..

Promethease is a literature retrieval system that builds a personal DNA report based on connecting a file of DNA genotypes to the scientific findings cited in SNPedia.

That quote in red was taken from their webpage...The report gives you info on what diseases you might be prone to...its very interesting if you go to the site and read the examples...I do understand if some don't want this info...but I did....If anything, the reports (65 of them) from 23andme and what I get from promethease will be interesting reading...

DW

Respected Contributor

I know three people who did it and they got the exact same results. None of them are related and don't even know each other.

Honored Contributor

Re: DNA testing kit

[ Edited ]

Kitlynn wrote:

I know three people who did it and they got the exact same results. None of them are related and don't even know each other.

That's the thing!   I've also seen reports where different people EACH used several different ones and each person got almost completely different results from each test.   

These are reasons I don't feel comfortable even bothering.

Trusted Contributor

Re: DNA testing kit

[ Edited ]

I guess you have to just decide if it's for you ....some don't think so..some like to do it for entertainment purposes...some do it for the knowledge..

What ever the reason...I found my results the same as my sisters for ancestry...the difference was..she had the genes for dark thick curly hair and dark eyes and dark complexion which she has..for me it was light thin hair...blue eyes and very fair skin...which I have... both the same parents...and we thought we were 100% Italian...well the tests showed some Scandinavian...and some Northern Italy and Northern Europe...I got those features..where she got the Southern Italian...and Middle Eastern features...the results were spot on for us...DW