Valued Contributor

Re: DEATH WISH COFFEE COMPANY

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde wrote:

People often mistake "strong" coffee with how much caffeine is in it. Strong/bold *flavor* does not equate to amount of caffeine. Bold-tasting dark roast coffees actually have *less* caffeine than medium roast; the longer the roasting, the more caffeine decreases.

A coffee can have a very bold mouth-feel, a very identifiable taste, and not be highly caffeinated, but people believe such coffee must have more caffeine in it because it tastes "strong."

Exactly, lighter roasts have more caffeine because the roasting process can remove the caffeine. Real hair on your chest coffee are actually lighter roasts it has nothing to do with the taste. The darker the roast, the less caffeine. Death Wish coffee is a  smart gimmick. 

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Noel7 I like smooth but "identifiable", I guess I'd say. I prefer dark roasts as they have bolder flavor. I like a coffee that doesn't taste like every other cup. Something needs to stand out in the flavor for me to want to order more. I need a flavor that will stand up to additions and keep its flavor. I do like a hint of sweetness.

As far as what terms people use to describe notes of flavor - in coffee AND in wine - the words used don't mean much to me because I might well taste what the experts have decided to label perfume or berry or apple or .... etc. but I would give it a different description in my head, so I don't relate to what others call it.

I guess I'm right in that group with you Smiley Happy

After all these years and different coffee makers, we still prefer Melita, made cup by cup.  The taste seems to come out so much cleaner to both of us that way.

Honored Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

I took a coffee tasting course.  Any coffee can be STRONG.  Strong is determined by the ratio of coffee to water.  The boldness of coffee is determined by the kind of beans and how they were prepared. (how and where they were grown, aged and roasted) The brew method can alter the taste of coffee.

@lulu2

I totally agree.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

I have always wanted to take a coffee-tasting/coffee appreciation course like those done for wine. I have checked online and never found that either Coffee Bean or Starbucks do them. I would be interested to know why Starbucks thinks people love burnt-tasting coffee.

@Moonchilde

Probably because it sells.

I like getting their skinny latte or the holiday specials, but other than that, I am not a fan of their regular coffee.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I walked into Starbucks early this morning while waiting for my car to be serviced.  Had to walk out - could not take the smell of burnt coffee so early in the day.

Worked in the coffee division of a food company for many years, learned alot about coffee!  Plus having Italian parents - my cousins and I were drinking expresso (or as we referred to it as black coffee) at 7 years old!Woman Surprised