Trusted Contributor

@RespectLife   Try contacting your local senior center or your neighborhood church – both places often have groups that make items for donation to the homeless, or to seniors in nursing homes, or for babies, or for shut-ins, or people who receive no holiday gifts, etc.  These organizations rely on generous contributions of yarn and related materials for their projects.  It is very kind of you to find a new home for that material so it can make others happy. 

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Valued Contributor

Re: Crochet vs Knitting?

[ Edited ]

I do both as well as spin my own yarn with a spinning wheel. I love to knit and very rarely crochet. A couple of years ago I learned how to continental knit, and it goes MUCH faster than English (or throwing which most Americans do). It took some getting used to, but I'm so glad I switched over. It makes a lot more sense to me. Right now I have a pair of socks that I'm knitting two-at-a-time on one long circular needle. My favorite thing to make is socks because they are so warm and last forever.

Trusted Contributor

@BriggsiePeawiggle wrote:

I do both as well as spin my own yarn with a spinning wheel. I love to knit and very rarely crochet. A couple of years ago I learned how to continental knit, and it goes MUCH faster than English (or throwing which most Americans do). It took some getting used to, but I'm so glad I switched over. It makes a lot more sense to me. Right now I have a pair of socks that I'm knitting two-at-a-time on one long circular needle. My favorite thing to make is socks because they are so warm and last forever.

Knitting socks are my dream! I've made some toes but always crash on the heel. I'm thinking of coming to our local library's knitting club for instruction.. I put it down when summer got here, but I will enjoy it when the weather turns colder.

Respected Contributor

I can knit a scarf and I can crochet a long string!😉

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

I am partial to crocheted items, and have many things my maternal grandmother made for me, and my girls.  Mamaw tried her very best to teach me to crochet as well, but I absolutely did not want to learn.   Neither did my mother, or her sister, but she was successful in teaching my teacher daughter to crochet.   My daughter has made several afghans, and is currently crocheting a queen size "owl" bedspread.  

Trusted Contributor

Much prefer knitting.  It does take a little longer but I think the wide variety of stitches allows for so many more options in a finished garment.  I like to felt items, like purses, and knitting gives a more finished look for that too.  I always had trouble with the tension when doing crochet so gave it up and have been knitting for about 50 years.  

I also like to felt from fiber - no knitting or crochet and you can make items much more quickly, such as a purse in an afternoon. 

Respected Contributor

The edges of my crochet are 'wobbly', and I then regret what I've been trying to make.

My knitting is better, but I've made some terrible sweaters for my brother-poor guy.

Respected Contributor

I do both but prefer knitting.

Honored Contributor

@VanSleepy wrote:

I used to knit when I was a teenager.  The only thing I could make was a scarf - or anything else rectangular.  A couple years ago I was going to watch some videos to refresh my memory/learn more, but I taught myself how to crochet instead from YouTube videos.  I like crochet so much better.  It is so much easier to me.  I'm still only on rectangular things so far.  Oh, and hats lol

Like VanSleepy I can only knit rectangular items like scarves.  I'm jealous she's managed to make a hat.  

I never caught on to crocheting even with a SIL helping me.

Super Contributor

I do both, but prefer the look of knitted items.  Just finished a pair of socks last night.