Valued Contributor

Should we be looking at overhauling the criminal justice system?  Should we abolish mandatory minimums; allow ex-felons to vote?

I say it's time we delve into it.We have one of the highest incarceration rates (716 per 100,000) in the world.

You have sacrificed nothing and no one.
Super Contributor

From someone who worked in the Judicial system for almost 21 years I'd say no to abolishing mandatory minimums.  Felons vote, depending on the crime. 

Week in and week out we saw the same defendants over and over and over again, it was really sad.  I feel, for people like them, the system is not strict enough to be a deterrent. 

Also, I have seen dispositions based on the fact whether or not the prosecutor is in a good mood. 

Of course, mandatories etc. differ from state ot state so I can only speak for my opinions for the State of CT and our mess of a system here.  We have so much crime in comparison to other countries, makes one wonder...doesn't it.

Honored Contributor

@Maudelynn wrote:

Should we be looking at overhauling the criminal justice system?  Should we abolish mandatory minimums; allow ex-felons to vote?

I say it's time we delve into it.We have one of the highest incarceration rates (716 per 100,000) in the world.

We need to "delve into" the reason that such a disheartening statistic exists.  I hope that more intelligent brains than mine can come up with a solution.

Honored Contributor

Re: Criminal Justice Reform

[ Edited ]

Yes, we need to do away with mandatory minimums.  I want prisons not to be private for-profit operations.  The system stinks.

Honored Contributor

A high incarceration rate may mean that we prosecute more criminals.  I see it as a good thing.

In my area, we've had two outstanding police officers shot and killed by repeat offenders in the past six months.  I think we need minimum sentencing and it needs to be more severe than it now is.  It's now just a slap on the hand.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

What came first? The chicken or the egg? If people stopped commiting crimes, the incarceration rate would drop. Just sayin...

Respected Contributor

We have the highest incarceration rate in the world?  So what.  This is the US.  We do whatever we have to do to keep our people safe and separate the miscreants from the rest of society.  I really don't care what other countries do.

Should ex-felons be allowed to vote?  Why?  They made a conscious choice to commit a crime.  They have to live with the consequences, some of which can last a lifetime.

Esteemed Contributor

@Maudelynn wrote:

Overturning?  No.  Maybe modifying it to have harsher penalties.  Allow ex-cons to vote?  NO.  Folks would then have no voice in Gun Control, because they wouls want firearms to all be legal as it's part of their lives and existence.  Mandatory minimums?  NO.  People who are lawless and break the law will and should face the full and maximum penalties.  No pardons given. 

So what if we have the highest rates of incarceration.  WE have standards and uphold them HERE, Not like other countries where they have multiple problems and issues. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

No a complete overhaul is not needed or warranted imo, however I would like to see the penal industry moved away from privitization........

Honored Contributor

Privatization is suppose to be the most economical way to operate a prison.  Prisons, privately run or public, are beset by personnel problems.  The cream of the workforce crop is not clamoring to work in a prison.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment