Esteemed Contributor

Credit card companies are on the ball.....

Over the weekend my BF was called by her CC company and asked if she charged a bike. She said no her and her DH charged nothing on that card for months. Well someone hacked her online (b/c she doesnt carry that card with her!), and used her number at a bike shop to try to purchase an expensive bike! So the CC company took care of it.

Today DH and I have been Christmas shopping online w DHs credit card. When we got over 200 the credit card company blocked us from shopping and nothing was going through. We didn't know why it just said our address doesn't match. An hour later the CC company called and asked for DH to make sure we were charging and not someone else!. DH said yes we are Christmas shopping online.

I am glad they do this. It may be a pain when trying to purchase, but better safe than sorry!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

Re: Credit card companies are on the ball.....

CC companies are very good at detecting when a card is being used by an unauthorized user.  We've gotten calls too, sometimes the charges are ours, and once they were done by someone in Russia!!! (We weren't shopping in Russia.)

Honored Contributor

Yes, I agree.  My CC company, Bank of America, has caught illicit charges on my card several times and I caught one myself once.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I bought $1000 in Lowe's gift cards at a grocery store last week.  The store had gas points rewards and we were able to fill up my truck and his truck for less than $7.

Anyhow, transaction was approved, but as we were walking out, my phone was getting texts and my dh's was ringing.  The bank wanted to make sure it was legit.  If you don't respond, they'll block your card from future charges till they hear from you! 

Honored Contributor

I'm so glad that somebody here, a while back, mentioned that you can go into your credit/debit accounts and set rules for them to contact you for every transaction.   

I did that with all my credit cards and my BofA debit card.  I don't do texting so I just have all of them email me.  I don't mind the emails in the least and it gives me a lot of peace of mind.

OTOH, however, I understand what some have gone through with fraudulent charges.  I've had that happen several times over the years and it's truly maddening.  I've never been held responsible for any of the charges, but it's upsetting nonetheless.

I kind of like that some of these banks/cc companies are being more diligent about it because they are the ones who have the most to lose.  My biggest complaint, in the past, is that I've had a few companies tell me that they don't ever try to pursue the thieves because it's just not cost-effective or practical.    Well, what I hate about that is that it just gives the thieves license to keep on stealing because they do end up getting away with a lot of it.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Last time I went to visit my folks out of state, I forgot to inform the CC company . . . and my card was declined when I tried to use it there until I contacted them to clear things up.

Honored Contributor

My card number bought a train ticket in Spain. My number gets around.  Fortunatley the CC

company caught it.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@Shorty2U wrote:

Over the weekend my BF was called by her CC company and asked if she charged a bike. She said no her and her DH charged nothing on that card for months. Well someone hacked her online (b/c she doesnt carry that card with her!), and used her number at a bike shop to try to purchase an expensive bike! So the CC company took care of it.

Today DH and I have been Christmas shopping online w DHs credit card. When we got over 200 the credit card company blocked us from shopping and nothing was going through. We didn't know why it just said our address doesn't match. An hour later the CC company called and asked for DH to make sure we were charging and not someone else!. DH said yes we are Christmas shopping online.

I am glad they do this. It may be a pain when trying to purchase, but better safe than sorry!

While I'm definitely glad they are on top of things, I would be annoyed if they declined a legitimate purchase, especially if I was in line at a store!

Honored Contributor

Last time someone tried to use my Visa in New Jersey to buy over $1500 worth of some type of steel the CC company called here. They knew it was not us.

Respected Contributor

Years ago I went to the credit card office and talked with the manager.   

I gave her a list of the places I will use their card.   Even gave her the round figure of the amount I would be using each month.   All these years I have never used the card any where else.   And never have I had a problem.