Respected Contributor

Re: Credit card companies are on the ball.....

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Shorty2U wrote:

Over the weekend my BF was called by her CC company and asked if she charged a bike. She said no her and her DH charged nothing on that card for months. Well someone hacked her online (b/c she doesnt carry that card with her!), and used her number at a bike shop to try to purchase an expensive bike! So the CC company took care of it.

Today DH and I have been Christmas shopping online w DHs credit card. When we got over 200 the credit card company blocked us from shopping and nothing was going through. We didn't know why it just said our address doesn't match. An hour later the CC company called and asked for DH to make sure we were charging and not someone else!. DH said yes we are Christmas shopping online.

I am glad they do this. It may be a pain when trying to purchase, but better safe than sorry!

While I'm definitely glad they are on top of things, I would be annoyed if they declined a legitimate purchase, especially if I was in line at a store!

My BofA card had to be replaced after a vendor let my information get hacked.  After getting the new card it won't work most time including when I went to buy my anniversary gift, leaving me to have to dig in my purse and use another CC.  A hour later BofA called to ask if I had used my card for a large purchase and told them I had tried but ended up using another card.  This is embarrassing since the vendor was a friend.

Respected Contributor

@esmeraldagooch,  Call your CC company or go to their office if they are near where you live and tell them you want a new card becaue of the trouble you are having with your card.

Respected Contributor

My bank is especially vigilant with my account.  I had two fraud incidents a couple of years ago.  The day my DD got married, I paid for the catering with my cc; but before it was authorized I got a call from the bank.  While the bank was calling, so was the caterer to tell me my charge had been declined.  I called the caterer back and told him what had happened.  He totally understood, delivered on time and the meal was enjoyed by all.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor

My understanding is what the theives do now a days is steal the information and go buy themself a large gift card. then the money trail ends right there and they have the gift card to use anywhere. So , it is becoming more difficult to buy a gift card with a cc or with credit info online. 

Honored Contributor

I'm not impressed, every time a legitimate charge of mine was declined it was because the company thought it was bogus.  

Respected Contributor

I have had my debit card replaced several times by my former credit union.  I wanted to know the store or vendor where it occurred so I would avoid using my card there.  They told me they get a listing of card numbers that were possibly compromised, but not how or where it happened.  I wish they were able to provide that information.

I have never been contacted by my credit card company about questionable purchases.  That kind of bothered me when we went out of the country and used our cards.

Respected Contributor

@onewhiteSparrow wrote:

@esmeraldagooch,  Call your CC company or go to their office if they are near where you live and tell them you want a new card becaue of the trouble you are having with your card.

This was the third time they have called and each time tell me the problem is recitfied.

This last time they said they would tell BofA the customer was upset.  Ya Think?

I was also told to call them if I was going to use the card out of town.  We just got a Can-Am Spyder and yes we will be driving the motorcycle out of our town and getting gas.  Then they said don't leave CA, but the card doesn't work at gas stations or restaurants in CA.  

We had to go to Disney world for a business trip, no way I was using this card.   

Personally, This is my take.  The number is changed so the problem should be rectified using the card,  I think they are trying to get rid of me as a customer because I have a locked in 5 percent interest rate they can 't change unless I do something that will disqualify me and I pay in full each month.   They make nothing on me and pay me in points to use their card.

Honored Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

I have had my debit card replaced several times by my former credit union.  I wanted to know the store or vendor where it occurred so I would avoid using my card there.  They told me they get a listing of card numbers that were possibly compromised, but not how or where it happened.  I wish they were able to provide that information.

I have never been contacted by my credit card company about questionable purchases.  That kind of bothered me when we went out of the country and used our cards.

I can tell who compromised mine .....   it was Target!!

TWICE I had my B of A card compromised, cancelled and replaced, and twice the card had only been used at Target in the previous 6 weeks!   

I still shop at Target --- occasionally --- but now only pay them in cash.    I don't trust their system.

Honored Contributor

I had a recent, really weird, Target experience.   I got an email from Target thanking me for my order.  Fortunately, I happened to be online right then.  I had not made an order so I called Target.

Well, I learned that that would be an exercise in futility.  After over 40 minutes on the phone with people who didn't seem to understand the very simple problem I was explaining, I did get a lady in the states who was very helpful.

But during that time I was able to go into my Target account and cancel the order.  But the weird thing was, I couldn't find the charge on any of my cards so I don't know what the deal was there.  

Meanwhile, the helpful, knowledgeable, lady went through my account to make sure nothing else was hanging because the first (of 4) person I talked to, when I mentioned the fraudulent order, said 'oh the $200-something order?'.  Uh, no - I didn't know about THAT one.  Well, it turned out that she had no idea what she was talking about and that one didn't exist.   Geez.  

Anyway, it pays to always be aware and to keep track of accounts.  This is also why I love having any of my credit accounts and my debit account email me about ANY charges that are made.

Also, I have found in the past that this time of year a lot of the thieves will make these transactions in the middle of the night so as to make it easier to get away with it.  

Esteemed Contributor

My credit card company contacts me whenever something suspicious has been charged.  They must have flags in their systems that alert for anything unusual.  I've had to replace my credit card three times over the years but each time the credit card company caught it right away. 

Criminals don 't always have to have your card.  They will run numbers hoping to hit a good one which has happened to me.  Those charges are usually small.   If it goes through they'll charge larger things. 

After Target had a large security breach, along with other big box stores, we no longer use our credit cards at those stores and pay cash instead.  We plan ahead of time for large purchases and take out the cash that we need.