Esteemed Contributor

Re: Credit Card Fraud Investigator SCAM

@jubilant wrote:

@chrystaltree

Much of what you say is true but what about the elderly that aren't quite as quick on their feet as they used to be?  My mom is 87 and I believe she has a bit of early dementia setting in. She gets rattled more easily than she used to so I really appreciate when someone mentions the latest scams. I call her up and tell her about them.  She is always happy to get a heads up.  She lived in a time when people didn't have such easy access to your information and I worry that some very "clever" person could sense her situation and "outhink" her at this point.

I am glad too when they mention these scams for every one to take note but especially the elderly. Even the elderly with just normal memory loss seem to get really concerned and almost worried with things like this or the thought of being late for a bill (at least with my experience). They also don't have as much experience at times with how much and how quickly things change in regards to how we are notified of breaches. Even with normal memory loss they may forget not to give out that info @jubilant.

My mom is still very much with it when it comes to this and God help the person who tries to take a penny from her because she isn't having it for one single second but I do know she won't always  be like that. I was over her house several months ago when a fake IRS agent tried to call, saying she owed money. She gave them such a hard time that they hung up on her within minutes. Poor guy! lol!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201

That's funny about your mom. LOL, too! My mom uses a calculator to double check her adding and subtracting these days.  She has always been the one who took care of business because she was so good at it.  Now, with Dad in a Nursing Home, there is so much to deal with....it's just unbelievable all the red tape and she just can't handle it. I barely can!  I can't imagine what it must be like for her.

Heaven forbid if the VA, Medicare, Medicaid,  etc., call with a detailed problem.  She can't take many details and has a hard time remembering what she was told.  Her short term memory is really worse than my Dad's who has had dementia for several years now.  I think Dad's is different from hers.  There are many forms of dementia.

Marp put me onto Aricept for Dad and it has helped him so much.  I am trying to get Mom to look into it....but she tells me   "that her memory isn't that bad yet".  My sister and I both notice it and agree...it has gotten much worse in the last 6 months.

Thankfully my sister lives right across the street from her and I am only 5 minutes away.  Mom is doing very well physically......  above average for her age her doctors say.... but quite emotional these days.  In the last 6 months, Dad has had Sepsis, 3 UTI's,  C-diff, and was diagnosed with Parkinsons Disease 2 or 3 weeks ago.  He appears to have a form of dementia that goes hand in hand with Parkinson's. Mom and Dad will celebrate 69 years of marriage April 10th.  Dad is trying to make it to their 70th next year but told mom he doesn't know that he can. It's so hard to watch your parents get old. They are very close. They are still very much in love.  I fear when one goes the other will go.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jubilant wrote:

@Irshgrl31201

That's funny about your mom. LOL, too! My mom uses a calculator to double check her adding and subtracting these days.  She has always been the one who took care of business because she was so good at it.  Now, with Dad in a Nursing Home, there is so much to deal with....it's just unbelievable all the red tape and she just can't handle it. I barely can!  I can't imagine what it must be like for her.

Heaven forbid if the VA, Medicare, Medicaid,  etc., call with a detailed problem.  She can't take many details and has a hard time remembering what she was told.  Her short term memory is really worse than my Dad's who has had dementia for several years now.  I think Dad's is different from hers.  There are many forms of dementia.

Marp put me onto Aricept for Dad and it has helped him so much.  I am trying to get Mom to look into it....but she tells me   "that her memory isn't that bad yet".  My sister and I both notice it and agree...it has gotten much worse in the last 6 months.

Thankfully my sister lives right across the street from her and I am only 5 minutes away.  Mom is doing very well physically......  above average for her age her doctors say.... but quite emotional these days.  In the last 6 months, Dad has had Sepsis, 3 UTI's,  C-diff, and was diagnosed with Parkinsons Disease 2 or 3 weeks ago.  He appears to have a form of dementia that goes hand in hand with Parkinson's. Mom and Dad will celebrate 69 years of marriage April 10th.  Dad is trying to make it to their 70th next year but told mom he doesn't know that he can. It's so hard to watch your parents get old. They are very close. They are still very much in love.  I fear when one goes the other will go.

Wow, your mom is dealing with so much @jubilant. I am so happy that she has your sister and yourself so close, that is great. At 47 I have difficulty understanding many of the complexities regarding insurance. I don't know how seniors deal with Medicare. Just helping my mom with some issues it almost seems like it was purposely designed to cause confusion, doesn't it? One thing that recently came up was she needed to get some precancerous and cancerous spots on her chest burned off. Medicare says she had to get them done with separate appts instead of getting them done all at once in the same appt. I would think it would be cheaper for them to have it all done in one instead of paying for each separate visit. There are a million little things like that with Medicare that don't make any sense to me. 

It is very hard to watch your parents get old. You see these people who raised you and were so strong who took care of everything and watching them deteriorate and start to slow is so hard and so heartbreaking. 

Edited to add, WOW!! 69 years, that is so amazing. What a true accomplishment. Even great marriages go through such challenging times. That really speaks to what fighters both of your parents are! You must be so proud of both of them. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201TY -  that's what I do and I was wondering how to do otherwise.

One note on the people calling us:  I'm getting an increasing number of robo calls and I assume they all want my money.  No, I'm not giving out any info nor accepting those calls, but I do wonder why there are so many all of a sudden????   Any ideas?

Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

Scammers have come up with a new and clever way to access your credit card. They’re pretending to be the very people who protect you from hacks: Credit card fraud investigators.

A lot of us have gotten the real call from our credit or debit card company asking if we’ve made a purchase.

Roy Worley got one when he made a trip to Vegas.

“They called that afternoon, and Mr. Worley, did you make this charge and that charge and were you renting a car in Vegas,” he said, reciting the phone call.

He says they asked him a series of questions to verify it was him.

Scammers have realized, impersonating the fraud investigators is a clever way to get you to divulge your information without you realizing you’re handing it over to the criminals themselves.

That’s just what happened to Morgan Fletcher in Spartanburg.

“They were saying that they were with bank of America and that I had fraudulent charges on my account and that they needed to verify that I was the rightful user of the credit card with my user name and password,” said Fletcher.

In some cases, the scammers already have your card number through a breach. They just need you to give up the three digit security code.

More:  http://wspa.com/2017/03/13/scam-alert-that-credit-card-fraud-investigator-may-be-a-scammer/

DO NOT GIVE THESE PEOPLE ANY INFO......  Tell them Thank You and that you will call your Credit Card Company immediately and talk to their fraud department.  AND THEN HANG UP! 

Then call your CC company and tell them you think you've been compromised and tell them about this call..... and that you would feel better with a new CC number!

My CC was compromised on eBay years ago (Romanian Hacker!) and then eBay stopped people from pulling their CC cards off line!  I went to my CC company and told them what happened and I had a new card in the mail immediately.

Take care! 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@millieshops wrote:

@Irshgrl31201TY -  that's what I do and I was wondering how to do otherwise.

One note on the people calling us:  I'm getting an increasing number of robo calls and I assume they all want my money.  No, I'm not giving out any info nor accepting those calls, but I do wonder why there are so many all of a sudden????   Any ideas?

Yes our number of robocalls really started increasing too @millieshops. I did find out that they can get them from several sources and one is donating to charity!!! I have found nomorobo to be extremely helpful in really cutting down on them. There were days I was getting 20-25 (not kidding) robo calls a day and now I get between 0-5. 

JFK