Honored Contributor

Re: Credit Card Fraud Investigator SCAM

The 3-digit number is not some "secret" code............it only proves that you have the actual card in your possession.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

My CC was hacked Saturday. I got an email alerting me of a purchase. To confirm or deny because of potential fraud. I did NOT call the number on the email or confirm/deny purchase via email. I called the number on the back of the card.

They had 3 purchases of gas - all around 30.00. They knew which were my charges and I confirmed the 2 I made. I cannot use the CC and waiting for a replacement. With the storm, it may be another few days as opposed to next day fedex as promised.
Honored Contributor

My CC was hacked Saturday. I got an email alerting me of a purchase. To confirm or deny because of potential fraud. I did NOT call the number on the email or confirm/deny purchase via email. I called the number on the back of the card.

They had 3 purchases of gas - all around 30.00. I don't own a car. They knew which were my charges and I confirmed the two I made. I cannot use the CC and waiting for a replacement. With the storm, it may be another few days as opposed to next day fedex as promised.
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

When I've been hacked, the tip-off was an EMAIL (and sometimes an online sale declined) asking me to call the bank. I've never had a cold call. I would hang up and call the bank myself.

And my bank calls me personally.  I deal with a local savings and loan and when my card has been hacked where it was actually used or an attempt to use it was made, I receive a call from the fraud department of my bank.  However, they have never asked me personal information like my card number, username, password, security code on the back of the card.  All they ask is to verify if certain charges were made by me.

If my card is compromised in some way, I get a letter in the mail informint me of that and telling me I will be receiving a new card in the mail.    

Frequent Contributor

@Marp

Thanks for sharing this!

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

I know people do it but it is hard to believe that people would actually give any information including their 3 digit code. There has never been a time where the credit card company asked for that and any sensitive info and  my cc has been breached several times. I would just never give anyone who I called or called me that info.

@Irshgrl31201  Everytime you hand your card to a store clerk, cashier or server, you're sharing that 3-digit code.  There is just no way you can keep every bit of information absolutely private in this day and age. 

I don't hand my card to servers, I use cash in a restaurant and my card never leaves me in a dept store, they all have scanners at the checkout that you do yourself. I worked as a server long enough to see other servers add more of a tip or other nefarious things @Kachina624. Of course there is no way to guarantee 100% as I have had my card breached as well and they never gave info on how it happened but there are things we can do to protect ourselves the best we can. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@Irshgrl31201Does that mean you don't have a card on file with anyone?  I think they all ask for that security number the first time you use a card with them online?

I meant to say that I wouldn't give that info on the phone when being called and questioned about a possible breach. I have been told repeatedly they will never ask for that info. If I even questioned it, I would hang up and call the number on the back of the card. Sorry, I should have been more clear @millieshops. I also don't do auto fill or keep my card on file anywhere or use fast pay that keeps it on file at any store (like Walgreens). 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@debcakes wrote:

@millieshops wrote:

@Irshgrl31201Does that mean you don't have a card on file with anyone?  I think they all ask for that security number the first time you use a card with them online?

But you make the call. If I call QVC to order and they ask me all that info, that's ok. But if someone calls me and says they are from QVC and need my credit card info, I should not give it to them.

Exactly, that is originally what I had meant to say. You articulated it better than I @debcakes.

JFK
Honored Contributor

Last week a notice in a square box popped up suddenly while I was online (not the Q).  It had a voice message and a long written message as well.  It claimed that there was malware on my computer and if they didn't fix it right away, my computer would pass it onto their computer and bring their whole system down.  They gave me one minute to click on the key that would enable them to stop all of this from happening.  There was a true urgency in the voice.

I immediately pulled the electrical plug from my computer, as I knew that was the quickest way to prevent whatever this hack was going to do.  I waited a good ten minutes before I turned my computer back on and immediately ran my virus and malware programs.  Everything checked out fine and it didn't come back.

I can't imagine what would have happened to my computer had I not acted quickly.  It was something I've never seen before.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree

Much of what you say is true but what about the elderly that aren't quite as quick on their feet as they used to be?  My mom is 87 and I believe she has a bit of early dementia setting in. She gets rattled more easily than she used to so I really appreciate when someone mentions the latest scams. I call her up and tell her about them.  She is always happy to get a heads up.  She lived in a time when people didn't have such easy access to your information and I worry that some very "clever" person could sense her situation and "outhink" her at this point.