Esteemed Contributor

Credit Card Fraud Investigator SCAM

Scammers have come up with a new and clever way to access your credit card. They’re pretending to be the very people who protect you from hacks: Credit card fraud investigators.

A lot of us have gotten the real call from our credit or debit card company asking if we’ve made a purchase.

Roy Worley got one when he made a trip to Vegas.

“They called that afternoon, and Mr. Worley, did you make this charge and that charge and were you renting a car in Vegas,” he said, reciting the phone call.

He says they asked him a series of questions to verify it was him.

Scammers have realized, impersonating the fraud investigators is a clever way to get you to divulge your information without you realizing you’re handing it over to the criminals themselves.

That’s just what happened to Morgan Fletcher in Spartanburg.

“They were saying that they were with bank of America and that I had fraudulent charges on my account and that they needed to verify that I was the rightful user of the credit card with my user name and password,” said Fletcher.

In some cases, the scammers already have your card number through a breach. They just need you to give up the three digit security code.

More:  http://wspa.com/2017/03/13/scam-alert-that-credit-card-fraud-investigator-may-be-a-scammer/

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

Re: Credit Card Fraud Investigator SCAM

I would never give information to someone who called me.   I've had this happen with B of A, and they didn't call me.  I believe I got an email asking that I contact them and I looked up the phone number. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I know people do it but it is hard to believe that people would actually give any information including their 3 digit code. There has never been a time where the credit card company asked for that and any sensitive info and  my cc has been breached several times. I would just never give anyone who I called or called me that info.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201Does that mean you don't have a card on file with anyone?  I think they all ask for that security number the first time you use a card with them online?

Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

I know people do it but it is hard to believe that people would actually give any information including their 3 digit code. There has never been a time where the credit card company asked for that and any sensitive info and  my cc has been breached several times. I would just never give anyone who I called or called me that info.

@Irshgrl31201  Everytime you hand your card to a store clerk, cashier or server, you're sharing that 3-digit code.  There is just no way you can keep every bit of information absolutely private in this day and age. 

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@Irshgrl31201Does that mean you don't have a card on file with anyone?  I think they all ask for that security number the first time you use a card with them online?

Most companies no matter how many times you use the card will ask you to fill in that 3 digit number. That is not saved if you do have a credit card on file either. 

Have you noticed when you receive a new card in the mail, the 3 digit code is different from the card being replaced for whatever reason (new expiration dated card, stolen or lost card being replaced, etc.)?

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Trusted Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

But you make the call. If I call QVC to order and they ask me all that info, that's ok. But if someone calls me and says they are from QVC and need my credit card info, I should not give it to them.

Honored Contributor

When I've been hacked, the tip-off was an EMAIL (and sometimes an online sale declined) asking me to call the bank. I've never had a cold call. I would hang up and call the bank myself.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Who would do such a thing?  Really, these "warnings" about things that no one in their right mind would ever do are getting ridiculous.  We read about one every day and I suspect they aren't even true.  Fake news comes in all froms now.  The vast majority of us never get one of those calls from a bank or credit company and those who do, are smart enough to know that they shoud NOT give out or verify their credit card number . Hellllooooo  if the bank/credit card company is calling you...they have the number, they don't have to ask you for it...lol   Not to mention passwords and CCV codes. You might as well tell them that you'll leave the door to the house unlocked and the lights on all night...lol   Come on over!   The one time that hubby got a call about unusual activity on his account, they simply called to verify that he'd made the $2000 purchase.   They didn't ask him any information.  The purchase raised a red flag because it was on a card that he had had for many years and never had a more than a $200 o $300 balance.  He verified the charge was correct, he had paid for a class for our daughter.  This happened years ago but even then, he knew better than to give the caller any information at all.  Now, everyone knows better and sadly, those who don't because they are naive, dumb or intimidated by a voice on the phone cannot be saved by stories like this. 

Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@millieshops wrote:

Most companies no matter how many times you use the card will ask you to fill in that 3 digit number. That is not saved if you do have a credit card on file either. 

Have you noticed when you receive a new card in the mail, the 3 digit code is different from the card being replaced for whatever reason (new expiration dated card, stolen or lost card being replaced, etc.)?

I activated a new Discover Card last night and it had a special 3-digit numeric code in the bottom rt. corner I had to use.