Honored Contributor

Re: Could You Pass A 1954 Home Economics Class?

That was fun, thanks!  I had Home Ec but it was coming to a close and I had cooking and sewing classes and that was it, it was the middle of the 60's and I guess it was running its course.  I hated the cooking part but loved sewing.  Today I'm a ho hum cook but have sewn my entire life.... heh.... go figure.... Woman Wink

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I - and the other girls - had to take home ec and the boys had to take mechanics.  Can you imagine? This was in junior high (we didn't have "middle school.").  

I remember sewing (making) my apron in class.

Honored Contributor

Question 13 ....  Three types of table service?   Sounds like a trick question.

I noticed a couple women wearing full slips.  My mother had several and, apparently, you always had to wear them.    Just curious .....  who still wears a full slip?   lol

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Pearlee, thanks!!! That was a lot of fun and insightful. I failed miserably but when I took home economics in the 70's, I got a C. Never could sew! Lol!!! 

Honored Contributor

Tee hee @Pearlee I was going to post this a while ago but I failed the test so miserably I changed my mind . . . it is a fun quiz isn't it, thanks for this post! . . . Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

well I failed! My mother would "turn in her grave" as they say but then again this was before my time ...I wasn't born yet!!!

Although, she was a tickler for proper etiquette (sent my brother & me (or is that I) to classes every Saturday) and manners.  I remember at those classes I had to dance with my brother no wonder I'm not a great dancer! 😉

Fun test!

Esteemed Contributor

@IlliniGirl88 wrote:

@Pearlee  -  That was a fun test; I would have flunked!Woman LOL  What woman washes her hair only twice a month???  You're right, the pictures were funny.

@IlliniGirl88@Pearlee

Many women, I mean many, had perms, so would just wet their hair a bit to refresh.  An actual shampoo required placing one's hair in those skinny metal rollers with the sort of elastic thingees that would stretch over the roller and connect to the other end of the roller.  It took your hair AGES to dry!

Honored Contributor

I barely squeaked by, but I did pass. I don't ever recall people only washing their hair twice a month.

I remember  them washing it once a week , then twice a week, and then everyday.

Respected Contributor

@IlliniGirl88 wrote:

@Pearlee  -  That was a fun test; I would have flunked!Woman LOL  What woman washes her hair only twice a month???  You're right, the pictures were funny.

@Pearlee - yes, it was fun! I use to love home ec class! We laugh but they need to bring it back. You'd be surprise at the basic life skills students nowadays do not have.

@IlliniGirl88

I know many ethnic  woman who only wash their hair every two weeks because it's just to time consuming to do otherwise. I only wash mine once a week. I have to roller set it, sit under a dryer and then wrap it before bed or it's very frizzy. Believe me it takes up a lot of time and always has. And roller setting it is way easier than blow drying. We don't all have wash and wear hair. I'm multiracial and I've yet to find a really good stylist who understands and can do my hair. They either know one type(ethnicity) or another. I just wanted to explain this because I know that depending on where one lives, they may or may not come into contact with other cultures and ethnicities. 

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Starpolisher  Thank you for your very interesting post. Smiley Happy  

Given the photos we saw, I'm thinking that test was primarily with Caucasians in mind!