Respected Contributor

Re: Cost of Epi pen goes up more than 400%

A bit OT, but I'm getting so disgusted with the healthcare system and incompetence that I'm considering trying holistic medicine. I realize some meds are life saving and we must have them, but there are alternatives for many health issues as long as you find a qualified naturopathic Doctor. I'm also realizing as we get older, too many meds are prescribed.  They just rush you through, and throw another RX at you. 

I worked in in the medical field for years and years and used to poo poo the idea of natural medicine. (Brainwashed??) But frankly I've seen the best results lately with those who have taken a more natural approach. So far, my issues are worsening and honestly I'm sick of the insurance companies controlling what your doc prescribes and orders and Big Pharma gouging at every turn. 

My Epi pen was free even though I have prescription co-pays. I had them double check to make sure it was accurate. There is no rhyme or reason to insurance coverage these days. I have never had zero co-pay on anything. Flip side, some drugs that have been around forever are now excluded or the highest co-pay. What a mess.

I'm going to do some research and consider alternatives. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Nataliesgramma

Just checked the price of Epipen 0.3 at Canada Drugs and a 2 pack is $225.42.

If you check their site, there are other options, but this is a lot lower than $400.

There is nothing wrong with the drugs they provide and it offers an alternative to paying higher prices.

Esteemed Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@Nataliesgramma

Just checked the price of Epipen 0.3 at Canada Drugs and a 2 pack is $225.42.

If you check their site, there are other options, but this is a lot lower than $400.

There is nothing wrong with the drugs they provide and it offers an alternative to paying higher prices.

Thank you! I will!!

Honored Contributor

I just saw a local TV story re: alternatives to epi-pens that cost $75.

Local fire departments are switching...

Good for a company to figure out an alternative! Maybe this will stop the gauging.

Honored Contributor

My curiostiy about the pricing led me to do some research and it appears that the price has been going up yearly for quite some time (at least 10 years). In 2007, it was decided that a Rx was to include 2 pens instead of 1 due to the increasing cases where 1 pen was not enough to help the patient. I remember when it was just 1 pen and was quite happy when I received 2 for the same co-pay as just 1. Because my co-pay was $15 (back then), I didn't pay attention to the non-covered cost.

The new CEO did quite a job making this a profitable drug (from the low millions to more than a BILLION a year in profits) via marketing, pushing to get laws in place that schools, fire departments and police should have Epis on hand (they didn't in the past). The name got out there (akin to Xerox for copies of things) so parents starting asking for Epi by brand. In addition, the NEED increased dramatically due to the rising number of food allergies (that in another fascinating area to research and ask "why?"). The company shows that they give millions of pens free yearly but also admit that they actual cost of the drug is $1.

There are alternatives but patients and doctors aren't really aware of them (as has been mentioned in this thread) but Epi is what everyone thinks of when the need arises. Being honest, I didn't know it was the NAME of the drug; I thought it was the name for the MEDICAL DEVICE....how many others think this? The name is pretty much ingrained in everyone's head and has helped the company make it one of the most demanded drugs out there.

I don't see anywhere that the cost is due to research into other drugs (it may be), updating the delivery device or paying back the cost of producing the drug (research); all reasons for the high price of medication. 

In the end, it comes down to Supply and Demand.  Does a company have the responsibility to provide a life saving item for low cost to the public? Insulin, oxygen, water... there are many things we need to survive. Are this things a right or is it those who can afford should be able to access? That's really the question.

Honored Contributor

I am confident that the government will have to step in here - the insurance companies won't pay these outrageous prices and they can't deny this since it is a life or death issue. I too am an epi pen user - I don't need one right away - thank goodness. I only have one - keep it in my purse - I don't see any need to have more than one as I always have my purse with me with my inhaler and my epi pen in it. If we are somewhere I don't want to carry my purse I still take it along and leave it in the car so if needed DH could run to the car and get it for me.If I'm too far from the car - then I have to carry it with me.If I'm alone I must carry it with me. 

Respected Contributor

Yes, epinephrine is extremely inexpensive.  I understand the reason for the tremendous price hike is the delivery system -- that it has to be calibrated to deliver the exact dose for that person.

Still, it seems excessive and IMO it is a crime.  Shame on pharma.

Honored Contributor

@Chrystaltree2 wrote:

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

And did you hear that medicine inside is only a couple of bucks?  I hope the government gets these people - I too am highly allergic to bees.  I'm carrying one from a couple of years ago when they were only $200 for two (I think I got a coupon from my pharmacist and paid only $100)  But still! 

Gets them for what?  This isn't the old Soviet Union.  This is the USA, the government doesnt set prices or control the pharmacy industry.  If I'm wrong, I certainly do something about the high price of that Mercedes I love but can't afford.  I'm sure it didn't cost $60,000 to manufacture.  

@Chrystaltree2

there's a distinct difference between a luxury purchase and life sustaining medication.

What's referred to as gouging is illegal yet the pharmeceutical industry has been getting away with it for years! I fully understand your pro capitalism attitude and yes it's a slippery slope but let's consider humanity and compassion here!

Honored Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

Yes, epinephrine is extremely inexpensive.  I understand the reason for the tremendous price hike is the delivery system -- that it has to be calibrated to deliver the exact dose for that person.

Still, it seems excessive and IMO it is a crime.  Shame on pharma.

@SaRina I read an interesting article this morning, we could be going back to doctors prescribing little glass ampules of epinephrine and syringes to carry around (which costs a few dollars).  That would require a whole lot of instruction from doctors on administering, getting the dosage right (too little would be totally ineffective, too much would be fatal).  It's a shame, the whole thing.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

My curiostiy about the pricing led me to do some research and it appears that the price has been going up yearly for quite some time (at least 10 years). In 2007, it was decided that a Rx was to include 2 pens instead of 1 due to the increasing cases where 1 pen was not enough to help the patient. I remember when it was just 1 pen and was quite happy when I received 2 for the same co-pay as just 1. Because my co-pay was $15 (back then), I didn't pay attention to the non-covered cost.

The new CEO did quite a job making this a profitable drug (from the low millions to more than a BILLION a year in profits) via marketing, pushing to get laws in place that schools, fire departments and police should have Epis on hand (they didn't in the past). The name got out there (akin to Xerox for copies of things) so parents starting asking for Epi by brand. In addition, the NEED increased dramatically due to the rising number of food allergies (that in another fascinating area to research and ask "why?"). The company shows that they give millions of pens free yearly but also admit that they actual cost of the drug is $1.

There are alternatives but patients and doctors aren't really aware of them (as has been mentioned in this thread) but Epi is what everyone thinks of when the need arises. Being honest, I didn't know it was the NAME of the drug; I thought it was the name for the MEDICAL DEVICE....how many others think this? The name is pretty much ingrained in everyone's head and has helped the company make it one of the most demanded drugs out there.

I don't see anywhere that the cost is due to research into other drugs (it may be), updating the delivery device or paying back the cost of producing the drug (research); all reasons for the high price of medication. 

In the end, it comes down to Supply and Demand.  Does a company have the responsibility to provide a life saving item for low cost to the public? Insulin, oxygen, water... there are many things we need to survive. Are this things a right or is it those who can afford should be able to access? That's really the question.

@SahmIam

Thought provoking information .... thanks.

However, I think the REAL  problem here is the lack of competition from other drug manufacturers.  It appears that the maker of EpiPen has done an exceptional job in cornering the market on these pens.

So ......  I have no doubt that, as a result of all this publicity, other drug manufacturers are now working on their own version of the Adrenaline Pen.   If, for example, FIVE other manufacturers come out with a set of two pens with a cost to purchaser of no more than, say $75, the maker of the EpiPen will HAVE to drop their prices ... or lose the entire market!   (Not to mention a huge drop in their stock price!!)

Good old healthy competition .... and capitalism ....  will take care of this problem in no time at all.  Just watch and see.

One more thing ......  Anyone who needs to have these on hand should be asking for a GENERIC to EpiPen.  The Adrenaclick Pen is a good alternative .... and much cheaper.    I believe more are coming.