Regular Contributor

Re: Cost of Epi pen goes up more than 400%

@ValuSkr wrote:

How many uses can you get from an Epi pen?  Is it one and done?

Just one because it's a needle and that can't be re-used. So they come in a pack of 2 which is why many folks have several sets around.

And also they are only good for 1 year. After that gotta get all new ones again.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My family deductible has been reached (but not the FULL deductible where Rx's are free) so I pay $35 per pen for one of my boys. We have 4: school, me, grandparents, house. At his age, he's either going to be at school, at home or with a parent or grandparent near by.

I time certain drugs to when the deductible has been hit in order to save on the cost; some drugs I must purchase monthly, so I pay whatever the price. Others, like his Epi pens, I can refill at a certain time and it's after co-pay kicks in.  

This was THE reason why we had to sell our home  and rent for many years until just recently: cost of medical care for one child despite having insurance. The insurance we have NOW is NOT what we had then but we also didn't have a deductible back then (HMO).... now we do but EVERYTHING is covered with no cap. 

We look at the Rx benefits before anything else because that's where we spend the bulk of our money at this point.

Get involved, voice your anger, vote, do what you gotta do. It stinks but it's how it is right now.

Honored Contributor

Oh wow, I never knew that they were a single-dose unit.  Smiley Sad     Bad enough that, but to have the price for one single dose of a medication to cost that much is insane, especially something that is, in and of itself, a lifesaver.

I guess this is the way some folks would have it, being against any kind of regulations, but I would like to see some kind of regulation on this kind of thing.

I wonder whatever happened with Smirky Boy?   This brought him to mind.  Didn't he run into some problems, having purchased a pharmaceutical company and raising the prices by some 5,000% on those lifesaving meds?

Esteemed Contributor

I saw this story on the CBS evening news last week and it was said that the active indgredient only cost around $2.

Occasional Contributor

There's a peptition to congress, that you can sign

We ask that there be an investigation and regulation into the 420% (adjusted for inflation!) increase in the price of Epipens since 2004

http://www.petition2congress.com/20720/stop-epipen-price-gouging/

Honored Contributor

There's an article I came across (google still has it) that makes a good point:

The price has been rising yearly BUT it wasn't until the insurance game changed and people suddenly have had to pay far more out of pocket than in the past that the cost was noticed.

Being honest....I never paid attention until our healthcare plan changed and we had to pay FAR more out of pocket. We pay more out of pocket but the long term benefits are far FAR better than ever before. It was a trade off for us.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I carry an epipen for many years due to bee sting allergic reaction.

fyi:  The coupon provided by the manufacturer is good, however in the coupon fine print it states not accepted for those having Medicare coverage.

For several years these was a competitive company that produced Auvi-q.  Was wonderful - created by twin boys who had allergies, if you needed to use it it had a vioice recording that would calmly walk you through the injection.  Then they had a recall concerning dosage and it disappeared.  Smiley Sad

I guess with no competition, they can charge anything.

Also, years ago patients had the option of just buying one epipen.  Then it only came in sets of 2...more $$$ for manufacturer.  I carry one with me throughout bee season so one is sufficient Smiley Sad

Edit: Medicare open enrollment is Oct 15-Dec 7.  This is when everyone should check for the best Part D (drug) plan for 2017.  It will be very interesting to see what these drug plans charge for the epi-pens.  It always varies from plan to plan.

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

pharmaceutical companies disgust me. The more you need it the higher the price.

My cousin, thank goodness, was in the trials for the new hep C cure. EVERYONE in the control group was cured! Hallelujah!

Now the pills are on the market for......

$20,000.00 PER PILL!

Oh man, my aunt's husband has had hep C for years. There is no way they can afford that pill I doubt medicare will pay for it. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

How many uses can you get from an Epi pen?  Is it one and done?

@ValuSkr yes, just a single dose in each EpiPen.  My doctor told me to always carry 2 because 1) one could malfunction/not work when needed or 2) he said sometimes a 2nd dose may be needed before I could get to the hospital.  I've only had to use it once, on the way to the hospital (my husband was driving me).

@Mj12

something you just paid near $600.00 for could 'malfunction' ??? That kind of expense and no quality control??!

Honored Contributor

Greed has taken over our world, there is a old saying,the rich get richer,and the poor get poorer.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.