Honored Contributor

Re: Cost of Epi pen goes up more than 400%

http://www.today.com/health/epipen-price-hike-has-parents-kids-allergies-scrambling-t102080

for those people who are eligible, there is a link within this news link for a savings card from the drug company to help with the cost of the epi-pen.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

And now another company has jacked up a prescription cost!! I am allergic to bees and tried to fill my prescrition for a new Epi pen.....$545!!!

If you have kids in school, you need one there AND at home. How are some families going to afford this LIFE SAVING pen?

I am so upset right now with the greed these companies have!!

I feel your pain!!!! My insulin is over $300 per vial..I had to take out a prescription w/my Medicare..and it does bring the cost down..to $65, including the cost for the secondary insurance! BUT Lantus SHOULD be available in generic since 2014..! I signed a petition to the FDA..Insulin is a life saver..no choice about taking it. WHAT is this world coming too?????? No one cares! I feel for you Nataliesgramma.. Epipen's probably paying for all the AD's you see on TV all the time!!!!!!! Disgraceful!!!!!! I absolutely HATE the pharmaceutical companies...! a drug that took my mother's life, Advandia..is still around!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This 8/11/16 article offers helpful advice and info:

"Can You Get a Cheaper EpiPen?

You could save about $400 per two-pack with generic

Adrenaclick and still protect against life-threatening

allergy attacks"

safe link (or search for "Can You Get a Cheaper EpiPen?"):

http://www.consumerreports.org/drugs/can-you-get-a-cheaper-epipen/

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Regular Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

This 8/11/16 article offers helpful advice and info:

"Can You Get a Cheaper EpiPen?

You could save about $400 per two-pack with generic

Adrenaclick and still protect against life-threatening

allergy attacks"

safe link (or search for "Can You Get a Cheaper EpiPen?"):

http://www.consumerreports.org/drugs/can-you-get-a-cheaper-epipen/

This is true however in MOST states your Dr. will have to prescribe the Adrenaclick and not the Epi-Pen. It's not one of those drugs that are automatically given the generic if available. Just ask your Dr. about it.

Honored Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

And add to that - many who have these have more than 1 (I keep 3 on hand - 1 set in my handbag, 1 set in my husband's truck and 1 set at home).  Thank God we have good insurance.  But for those that don't, it is just appalling that the company decided to do this.  It is unconscionable.

Hi @Mj12  Smiley Happy

You are so right.  I saw a mother interviewed last night who said they have quite a few.  The mom carries one, the dad carries one, there's one at the school and one in their house. 

Cripes, that adds up to thousands!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nataliesgramma

I recently purchased my expensive meds at Canada Drugs dot com and saved a lot of money.

Have you checked out buying the pens through a Canadian drug store?

I discovered this site from reading these boards and glad I did.

I'm not sure they carry ALL drugs, but it is worth a try.

Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

And now another company has jacked up a prescription cost!! 

It's NOT just 'now'.

The increase has been going up for some time, right under our nose.  

Been making lots & lots of $$$$ for quite a period of time. 

image.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

Worse yet, if my memory serves me, an unused epi doesn't last forever. There is an expiration date. So you spend all that money, don't use the pen, and then have to discard it unused. You might as well just flush the money down the toilet. I realize that it's a life saver when needed, but you can't keep it beyond it shelf life and expect it to work.

Honored Contributor

How many uses can you get from an Epi pen?  Is it one and done?

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

How many uses can you get from an Epi pen?  Is it one and done?

@ValuSkr yes, just a single dose in each EpiPen.  My doctor told me to always carry 2 because 1) one could malfunction/not work when needed or 2) he said sometimes a 2nd dose may be needed before I could get to the hospital.  I've only had to use it once, on the way to the hospital (my husband was driving me).