Honored Contributor

Re: Cost of Epi pen goes up more than 400%

@cosmic1 wrote:
I gad to get a set of these for the first time this year. I was shocked at the cost. Without insurance they were $700 for a set of 2. With my insurance, they were $500. That is ridiculous. That is higher than my mortgage payment. Thankfully I have an HSA account (health savings account), so I had the money available.

Others who are not so fortunate have to risk dying because they cannot afford it or make a choice between food, heat or housing and medicine. Just terrible.

This is incorerect - people who do not have the money do not have to chose the ever over dramatic LIFE OR DEATH --- they can chose to buy the very reasonably priced amp of epi and a syringe and learn how to draw it up and inject it. 

Trusted Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

pharmaceutical companies disgust me. The more you need it the higher the price.

My cousin, thank goodness, was in the trials for the new hep C cure. EVERYONE in the control group was cured! Hallelujah!

Now the pills are on the market for......

$20,000.00 PER PILL!

WHAAAT - this is the 1st I heard of this !

RIDICULOUS - I know several people who where also permanetly cured of Hep C - these trials where held in Baltimore.  The SAVINGS of not having to hospitalize these people is unbelievable - then the pharmaceutical companies pull this c rap !

Between the Epi-Pen spike and NOW THIS - 

I am so sorry for the Families affected 

Esteemed Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

I was given a script for Restasis for dry eyes the other day. The cost was ridiculous.  I am waiting to see what my insurance will cover, but definitely will not pay the retail price. I'll just use regular drops more often.  I don't think I want to contribute to the pharms highway robbery.

I agree it is shameful and should be illegal to charge such incredibly high prices for something people must have to live. It's not your fault that you have allergies. Why should you be punished? Or your child? Only one suggestion . . VOTE!  For whoever you feel can change this!

Have not read each post but yours ( eyes) was where I was leading to: EYES

I know of three patients, locally that has been under an ophthalmological care for over TEN years.

Here is what I am understanding, now checking, and 99% of Big Pharma costs are true.

Two have severe _ glaucoma _, which requires a prescription for an eye solution that can be tolerated, ONLY. 

The third chronic eye disease is ' dry eye '.

Ref,: the glaucoma medication that lowers the fluid within the eye has been raised to $ $150.00 for a Twenty five day period. Without this medication, the fluid builds up and eventually destroys the Optic Nerve, leaving patient totally >>>>>BLIND.

All insurance companies are the same. UH. 

UH pays zero on the glaucoma medication until patients reach $3,000. After that has been reached, approved- their cost is under $100.00.

There is no ____generic!

The third patient has chronic dry eye disease. Her only option is using a medication, called Restasis. The cost for her was out of budget. She is now on Medicare. She has to pay out of pocket expenses for 1 month at a time. ( She is wheelchair bound with severe spinal disease that is not an approach for any surgery).

Her husband has to work at part-time jobs, when available. He had been a self employed welder since their marriage. 

Apparently, since their income, solely is SS.

As I understand, all of their savings was used for their son's sudden crash with a truck driver who had zero insurance. The cost for Three months of experience hospitall care was over $200,000.

Now, the son was divorced from [ wife] and he must live with the parents as caregivers, including all braces and medications.

Yes, this was taken to court. It will be 5-7 years before any final decision of action will come to fruition. The driver was or thought to be mentally unstable and is in a rehabilitation center.

The parents could be eligible for Welf.,but their SS is approximately $25.+ ...over the limit.

VOTE.

This could be anyone, anywhere. 

Please...No More years. Extension.

@ What @Perkup said: V O T E! 

Respected Contributor

EPI-pen CEO has been well compensated.   There needs to be a "cap" on costs for vital medicines.  Blaming it on high deductibles makes no sense....what executive is worth almost $19 million a year~!  

Bresch's total compensation went from $2,453,456 to $18,931,068 from 2007 to 2015.

Esteemed Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I didn't read all the replies so I don't know if it was mentioned ... there's an article about the price increase that says:

"The CEO of the company that drastically increased the price of EpiPens got huge pay increases over the years, with her salary reaching nearly $19 million annually.

According to filings reported by NBC News, Mylan Pharmaceuticals CEO Heather Bresch’s yearly compensation rose from $2,453,456 in 2007 to $18,931,068 last year."

She's also the daughter of a Senator from West Virginia.

"Bresch was an MBA student at West Virginia University until 1998. In 2007, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported that Bresch had claimed to have an MBA degree from West Virginia University, but the university disputed that. The university subsequently awarded her an EMBA despite her not having attained sufficient credits (22 out of the required 48)."

BTW, although not mentioned in the article I'm quoting, I believe it is worth noting that she was awarded this (bogus) degree while her father was the Governor of West Virginia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heather_Bresch

@IamMrsG

I had heard of this, then checked this bogus MBA until I followed it to the end. 

True!

"....bogus with a capital *B*.

Very appreciative of your help with conclusive evidence, here.... highlighted. I am still reading.

Respected Contributor

@NAES1 wrote:

@Perkup wrote:

I was given a script for Restasis for dry eyes the other day. The cost was ridiculous.  I am waiting to see what my insurance will cover, but definitely will not pay the retail price. I'll just use regular drops more often.  I don't think I want to contribute to the pharms highway robbery.

I agree it is shameful and should be illegal to charge such incredibly high prices for something people must have to live. It's not your fault that you have allergies. Why should you be punished? Or your child? Only one suggestion . . VOTE!  For whoever you feel can change this!

Have not read each post but yours ( eyes) was where I was leading to: EYES

I know of three patients, locally that has been under an ophthalmological care for over TEN years.

Here is what I am understanding, now checking, and 99% of Big Pharma costs are true.

Two have severe _ glaucoma _, which requires a prescription for an eye solution that can be tolerated, ONLY. 

The third chronic eye disease is ' dry eye '.

Ref,: the glaucoma medication that lowers the fluid within the eye has been raised to $ $150.00 for a Twenty five day period. Without this medication, the fluid builds up and eventually destroys the Optic Nerve, leaving patient totally >>>>>BLIND.

All insurance companies are the same. UH. 

UH pays zero on the glaucoma medication until patients reach $3,000. After that has been reached, approved- their cost is under $100.00.

There is no ____generic!

The third patient has chronic dry eye disease. Her only option is using a medication, called Restasis. The cost for her was out of budget. She is now on Medicare. She has to pay out of pocket expenses for 1 month at a time. ( She is wheelchair bound with severe spinal disease that is not an approach for any surgery).

Her husband has to work at part-time jobs, when available. He had been a self employed welder since their marriage. 

Apparently, since their income, solely is SS.

As I understand, all of their savings was used for their son's sudden crash with a truck driver who had zero insurance. The cost for Three months of experience hospitall care was over $200,000.

Now, the son was divorced from [ wife] and he must live with the parents as caregivers, including all braces and medications.

Yes, this was taken to court. It will be 5-7 years before any final decision of action will come to fruition. The driver was or thought to be mentally unstable and is in a rehabilitation center.

The parents could be eligible for Welf.,but their SS is approximately $25.+ ...over the limit.

VOTE.

This could be anyone, anywhere. 

Please...No More years. Extension.

@ What @Perkup said: V O T E! 

Well clearly all insurance companies are not the same.  My DH uses the glaucoma drops - has for years.  He pays $10 for a 90 day supply.  We have Kaiser (and Medicare, but get our meds from Kaiser.) 

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@cosmic1 wrote:
I gad to get a set of these for the first time this year. I was shocked at the cost. Without insurance they were $700 for a set of 2. With my insurance, they were $500. That is ridiculous. That is higher than my mortgage payment. Thankfully I have an HSA account (health savings account), so I had the money available.

Others who are not so fortunate have to risk dying because they cannot afford it or make a choice between food, heat or housing and medicine. Just terrible.

This is incorerect - people who do not have the money do not have to chose the ever over dramatic LIFE OR DEATH --- they can chose to buy the very reasonably priced amp of epi and a syringe and learn how to draw it up and inject it. 

@151949 Is correct about this. 

Respected Contributor

interesting how this story has developed -  i guess we can say that Sarah J Parker was taking the cash for endorsement - and not paying attention to pricing the last few years..  she did not do her due diligence and should be more careful about what she lends her name to.  are celebrity endorsements merely "names for hire?"

Honored Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

interesting how this story has developed -  i guess we can say that Sarah J Parker was taking the cash for endorsement - and not paying attention to pricing the last few years..  she did not do her due diligence and should be more careful about what she lends her name to.  are celebrity endorsements merely "names for hire?"

Of course they are. I'll add this: I think the ONLY reason SJP stepped down was because she didn't want this to possibly blemish her career if she didn't. Else, she would have just kept on doing what she was doing and getting paid handsomely for it.

I pay ZERO notice to the famous face for ANYTHING. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tansy wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Anyone can get a Rx from their doctor for an ampule of epi and a needle - covered by most insurance and if not covered it is very affordable in this form. The doctor or pharmacist can teach you how to draw it up and inject it. The life saving drug is the same. The part that is so expensive is the delivery system, but you can have the protection of the drug without the convenience of the epipen delivery system - it is that simple.

I think handling a syringe and vial in a panic situation is asking a lot.  I heard the other day that the plastic pens cost pennies to make but don't remember the source.  They don't appear to be that complicated:/

I know if I were going into anaphylactic shock I sure as heck wouldn't be able to handle a syringe & a vial......I'd be too busy trying to breathe!