Honored Contributor

Re: Cost of Epi pen goes up more than 400%

[ Edited ]

@hckynut  Thank you for the kind words.

Though the article mentions the Epi-pen, it's REALLY about HOW a drug can go from making a million or less a year to a BILLION PLUS a year ; the strategy, how it was done, why it was done and why it's only now being discussed.

This could be happening to ANY drug as we speak; when people say "BUT HOW/WHY?" I can say "read the article- it explains how and why".

I think the link is more about understanding the business of making money off of a needed medication than it is about the Epi-pen itself. : )

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynut wrote:

@Lila Belle wrote: 

Big Pharma is like the NRA. Policy is set by our lawmakers. It's a sad fact that they're beholden to campaign contributions.

@Lila Belle,

I do not understand why you chose to compare the Big Pharmaceutical to the NRA. The NRA has absolutely nothing to do with the cost of anyone's prescription meds. 

To throw that into this thread was unnecessary, and in my opinion, only done to entice those like myself, that is an NRA member, to take this thread off topic. Surprise, I ain't biting, other than to give my opinion on the "why" of your post.

hckynut(john)

@hckynut wrote:

@Lila Belle wrote: 

Big Pharma is like the NRA. Policy is set by our lawmakers. It's a sad fact that they're beholden to campaign contributions.

@Lila Belle,

I do not understand why you chose to compare the Big Pharmaceutical to the NRA. The NRA has absolutely nothing to do with the cost of anyone's prescription meds. 

To throw that into this thread was unnecessary, and in my opinion, only done to entice those like myself, that is an NRA member, to take this thread off topic. Surprise, I ain't biting, other than to give my opinion on the "why" of your post.

hckynut(john)

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

I would NEVER attempt to entice you.

But, you did bite and got your dig across @hckynut.

I'll explain my post and the comparison I made between Pharma and the NRA and drug pricing.

$$$$$$$$$$$$ to lawmakers = policies they like.

Super Contributor

What's happening with the pharmaceutical and healthcare industry is criminal imho.

Honored Contributor

@Pliqueajour wrote:

What's happening with the pharmaceutical and healthcare industry is criminal imho.

Profits over people's lives.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

I could have 5-6 students using an epi-pen and there is always teacher training on how to administer this.

This price hike is amoral.

Esteemed Contributor

@RainCityWoman You are correct, as I used to carry one.  I stopped because of what you just said.  They last abbout a yr and then turn brown.  Most people buy more then one.  I was stung at age 11 and had a bad reaction and ended up in hospital.  I stopped carrying it after about 5 years.  I was ironically stung by a Bee 3 years ago.  Totally different looking Bee.  It was big fat and black.   I had no reaction except for a very painful thumb.  The Bee that stung me when I was 11 had weird colors.  I took a big chance !

I am not telling anyone not to carry them.  I personally cannot afford it.  I don't understand how they can get away from raising the price on these? 

Honored Contributor

Anyone can get a Rx from their doctor for an ampule of epi and a needle - covered by most insurance and if not covered it is very affordable in this form. The doctor or pharmacist can teach you how to draw it up and inject it. The life saving drug is the same. The part that is so expensive is the delivery system, but you can have the protection of the drug without the convenience of the epipen delivery system - it is that simple.

Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

And now another company has jacked up a prescription cost!! I am allergic to bees and tried to fill my prescrition for a new Epi pen.....$545!!!

If you have kids in school, you need one there AND at home. How are some families going to afford this LIFE SAVING pen?

I am so upset right now with the greed these companies have!!

@Nataliesgramma

And she was so smug on the news tonight....her compensation went from $2 mill to $19 mill....how does this woman sleep at night....PURE GREED!!!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

And add to that - many who have these have more than 1 (I keep 3 on hand - 1 set in my handbag, 1 set in my husband's truck and 1 set at home).  Thank God we have good insurance.  But for those that don't, it is just appalling that the company decided to do this.  It is unconscionable.

@Mj12

But expect your insurance rates to go up......I don't know how they expect people to pay these out rageouos prices....  One of my friend's takes a medication for an ailment and it went from $200 to $600 a month!!!  This is crazy!!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Anyone can get a Rx from their doctor for an ampule of epi and a needle - covered by most insurance and if not covered it is very affordable in this form. The doctor or pharmacist can teach you how to draw it up and inject it. The life saving drug is the same. The part that is so expensive is the delivery system, but you can have the protection of the drug without the convenience of the epipen delivery system - it is that simple.

I think handling a syringe and vial in a panic situation is asking a lot.  I heard the other day that the plastic pens cost pennies to make but don't remember the source.  They don't appear to be that complicated:/