Honored Contributor

Re: Contributing to our own loss of privacy

I do believe that these forums are available to anyone.....just to read.  Just can't post unless you have a nic or account. 

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@cherry wrote:

There was even one asking if you carried a balance on your credit card. Who needs to know that, or who would even care?

Next question:  What is your credit score?

What category is your yearly income?

Smart thread to warn us. I think some of us have that warning light that goes off not to share but there are times that we forget and forget where we are. A thread like this helps to put things in perspective.

Honored Contributor

First of all to the one who asked if I've ever heard of hacking.... YES OF COURSE I have!  

Second, I am on two private boards with log ins expressly there for the privacy of the member.  Of course nothing is totally private but it is better than an open WWW website.  

I just closed my account and went to google and found this discussion!  It's as open as any discussion that has no sign in, so I am extremely surprised at this.  The private websites I am on DO NOT DO THIS.  Therefore I am very grateful to @Moonchilde for bringing this up because I assumed it was at least as private as the other boards I frequent.

@Moonchilde, I agree about data mining, especially now that I realize that these threads are on the net with nothing to stop them!  I am not new to this.  I've been on the internet since 2000 and was heavily involved in political threads.  I have had several nasty things ~tried~ on me (no success) and have been privy to some very horrific things done to other members.  I even had an account hacked!  But happened to be on line as it was occurring and was able not only to stop it but report it as it was happening!  So I am not new to any of this and thought the set up was different.  Thanks to you, I will never think that again about any site I am involved with in the future, no matter how innocuous it seems!

Thank you! 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

Not long ago I also saw one that was 'what is your mother's name'.  I was just waiting for the one asking what your mother's maiden name is.  Smiley Wink

I swear, @chickenbutt, I was too! There probably has been one and we've forgotten it. 

I was just shocked at how many people actually gave out that info!

Sure, I play some of it but I have a line that I tend to follow.    

One question on one of my accounts is 'what is your favorite hobby'.  Well, you just KNOW that one has been asked here.  

I tend to think about stuff like 'what are security questions that my accounts ask to keep me safer' and those are things I don't discuss.

Hi @chickenbutt

I watched the various personal questions come up and I'm shocked so many people responded. 

I'm glad @Moonchilde began this line.

Esteemed Contributor

Somebody upthread went ahead and answered those questions that were posted which is fine. But what I got out of the this thread was that the more of those threads there are, the more comfortable we get with them. Then, we get lulled into a sense of security and when the more prying ones pop up we might not be as cautious as we should be.

It's great advice to be aware and know how much is too much. 

Thanks @Moonchilde for the reminder. 

Honored Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

Within the first few pages of a couple of forums are threads titled:

- What color are your eyes
- Do you have a birthmark
- What age group do you fall into
- Do you pay bills online or write a check
- Does anyone file with H&R Block online
- What do you like to collect
- How many RR Xings on your commute
- Right-handed or left-handed
- What time do you eat dinner

Individually, not much. Silly to worry about some of these, right? But if a data miner wanted to (some people earn a living or a 'bounty' doing it) - People post where they live, when they go on vacation, many other bits of info, and the threads above plus many others. These were just 3-4 days worth. "You" could be deciphered between what's public record searchable knowledge and what's posted here.

OK, i'm not disagreeing with you but I will answer your questions...

Color of Eyes   Brown

Birthmark   Lower right back

Age Group   30-45

Paybills     both check and online

H&R Block online    No, in person

Collect?    Sports figurines

RR Xings    3

Right handed

Dinner 5:30, sometimes 6:30

Vacation.....no vacations

These answers do not nor can they identify me.  The questions are so basic as do you wear pants or put a dress on everyday.

Your really need to get to the meat and potatoes of a person to physically identify them.  

I firmly believe giving your life history on FB is 100X worse than a general discussion on these boards.   Also, someone could be using general questions like these for their masters degree or maybe a paper they need to write on profiling but I find it very difficult for Aunt Mable's identity to be revealed.

The individual questions, as individual questions, may not. But if people already have public record info, they can look by state or region that has been mentioned by a poster, search by who else lives in the household (mentioned names OR just ages) and narrow it down - to you or 2-3 people with your name. Then they just wait for more info.

If they know your address (very easy) and know when you're likely to be home (or NOT home), and whether you have a dog and it's a BH chihuahua or Scooby Doo, they can figure the best time to clean out your house, or choose another house.

I don't mind whatever people say, and I'm not telling people they should never give out any info either - I'm just saying take note and be mindful.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde I asked about the dinner time because my DH thinks I serve it too early and that most eat later...just wanted to see which was closest to the truth.I was collecting data for any purpose it was more a poll.

Honored Contributor

@truffle wrote:

There was a person who posted once that she has told many lies on these forums for privacy reasons. 

Just boggles the mind.  Why post? 

@truffle

She could have been saying that to cover up past comments she wish she hadn't made.  Kind of a good idea, if so.

Honored Contributor

A specific poster always starts a Birthday thread each month.

Even tags those who have birthdays...I'm sure info he/she has noted

in past years. Does that OP be mining for info?

Even QVC Community Guidelines mentions not to post your birthday,

but many posters do.

Do not post any Personally Identifiable Information, including, but not exclusive to, first or last names, address, telephone number, email address, social security number, QVC account number, or birthday.

Honored Contributor

@SoX wrote:

One time a poster started a thread loosely entitled "Did you go to high school with a celebrity?"   Lots of responses, but one stood out ... a poster had gone to high school in Indiana and had been in the same class with this actor. 

Just for the heck of it ... I looked up the actor on Wikipedia ... found his high school and date of graduation.   Went further ... it was a very small class, complete with names and pictures of the graduating class.   One of them was probably of the poster ... wouldn't have taken a rocket scientist to track her down if they wanted to.

This sort of thing is SO EASY, yet people won't believe it's possible.  I tracked down two well known people, one in this country and one in the UK. I had very little info to go on, but it didn't take long in either instance. I pretty much did it for the purpose of seeing if it was that easy; it sure can be. Even outside the US.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all